Are you violating the law?

/ Are you violating the law? #3  
Not much difference to the car or truck you drive. Or furnace for that matter.

You buy it but someone else maintains ultimate control. But do you have a software team on hand to correct a bug?

Consumers would have great power if they banded together. Nobody buys Deere until they clean up their act for instance. Sounds good, but that would lead to all sorts of new mayhem.

/ Are you violating the law? #4  
Yes, I believe I do daily.

/ Are you violating the law? #5  
No I didn't. Nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

(and if this is about those 'photographs'... well, I was young and needed the work)

/ Are you violating the law? #6  
Not much difference to the car or truck you drive.

We can buy a code reader or stop by an auto parts store and have our vehicles scanned for codes, for example, a check engine light might indicate a bad O2 sensor. You can then buy a new sensor and install it if you wish. Our government standardize many OBDII codes just for this purpose. That is what the farmers are asking for, the ability to perform simple diagnostics and maintenance. Deere is claiming they don't want anyone but them scanning for fears of someone hacking and modifying their software, a ridiculous argument that has a different context than what the farmers are asking for.

/ Are you violating the law? #7  
PROBABLY! But since it was because of carelessness and I didn't have intent you cant prosecute me! Just ask Hillary she will tell you all about it!

/ Are you violating the law? #8  
We can buy a code reader or stop by an auto parts store and have our vehicles scanned for codes, for example, a check engine light might indicate a bad O2 sensor. You can then buy a new sensor and install it if you wish. Our government standardize many OBDII codes just for this purpose. That is what the farmers are asking for, the ability to perform simple diagnostics and maintenance. Deere is claiming they don't want anyone but them scanning for fears of someone hacking and modifying their software, a ridiculous argument that has a different context than what the farmers are asking for.

Two things... hacking and modifying, which would alter the control systems that the programme has been developed (at great expense in research, design, and implementation) to operate. Some of these programmes integrate the GPS/DGPS with an 'auto-pilot' function. We're not talking about replacing a fuel filter or fixing a flat tyre, this is about the big tractors and self-propelled (combines, industrial-level seeders, etc...) implements whose programming would be stolen and applied to other makes of tractors/implements.

Secondly, have you noticed that ALL of these news articles (5-6 different threads here on TBN alone) target/refer-to/mention ONLY John Deere. What does CASE IH have to say about the subject? Oh wait... their head office is in Italy. Any other big tractor manufacturers happen to actually be from the US?

<sounds of crickets> <<a tumbleweed rolls by>>

Yet no one has asked the 'foreign manufacturers' to release their programming.

/ Are you violating the law? #9  
Two things... hacking and modifying, which would alter the control systems that the programme has been developed (at great expense in research, design, and implementation) to operate. Some of these programmes integrate the GPS/DGPS with an 'auto-pilot' function. We're not talking about replacing a fuel filter or fixing a flat tyre, this is about the big tractors and self-propelled (combines, industrial-level seeders, etc...) implements whose programming would be stolen and applied to other makes of tractors/implements.

Secondly, have you noticed that ALL of these news articles (5-6 different threads here on TBN alone) target/refer-to/mention ONLY John Deere. What does CASE IH have to say about the subject? Oh wait... their head office is in Italy. Any other big tractor manufacturers happen to actually be from the US?

<sounds of crickets> <<a tumbleweed rolls by>>

Yet no one has asked the 'foreign manufacturers' to release their programming.

Proposed legislation would affect the entire industry if enacted.

A response from Deere was referenced, this is not a targeted action.

/ Are you violating the law? #10  
Not familiar with John Deere tractors. But have Deere engines in my construction equipment. And have been self diagnosing there ecm's for 8 years now.

If the tractors, combines, ect..... have a display that shows the code, it's gonna show up as Spn### Fmi##. The spn number is the code. Fmi is the sub code and gives you more detail.

Deere uses the same codes as Cummings. And the codes are all over the Internet. If I forget my list of codes, then I can just Google them on my smart phone. And there is a full list of John Deere trouble codes on the Internet.

Other tractor manufacturers are allowing the consumer to see what code is popping up on the display. And a way to clear it off the display. It doesn't remove the stored code from the ecm's. That's a dealer only option. But it allows the consumer to self diagnose.

To be compliant with the law suit, all the end user would need is access to the codes. Not the software, or the reader, if it was incorporated into a display on the unit.

Last edited: