Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #1  

HarleyMonster

Tractor
Kubota L47 & L3200
I have a new, heavily optioned Kubota L47 backhoe on order, it has been delivered to the dealer, now I am finding out Kubota has put a hold on the Top & Tilt dealer installed option and there are no Kubota 4N1 buckets available anywhere.

I am quickly losing my confidence in Kubota.

The L47 is a new design, but now I am finding out Kubota has flaws in this design. It has been 9 weeks since I placed my high priced order, it was to be 3 weeks for production and a week at the dealership. Now they are telling me it will be at least another 4 MONTHS for Kubota to figure this out.

The dealer wants to install an aftermarket Top & Tilt system. My position is if the engineers at Kubota can't figure out how to put a Top & Tilt on their brand new L47 how in the world is a mechanic working out of a shed going to design an aftermarket system that I will not have problems with once I take delivery. Space it tight for a Top & Tilt when the backhoe is installed so it will be difficult to field design a system that doesn't have interference issues. My 1998 Kubota L35 is a dedicated TLB, so I wanted a new TLB to replace it. The only problems I have had with my L35 is with after market parts that were installed before I owned it.

So my question is: Is there a Compact Tractor built other than Kubota that is a dedicated TLB from the factory?

I know I can buy a tractor with a sub-frame mounted backhoe, but are any being produced like the L47 where you only have to swivel the seat to use the backhoe? I do not want a tractor where I have to get off the tractor and remount it to use the backhoe and every time I need to move it during backhoe use. My farming operation does not lend itself to full sized backhoes; I need a compact tractor.

I am ready to walk away from this deal, any suggestions?

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #2  
Here are used industrial loaders for sale on eBay, near Temecula. Will provide an idea of alternative brands.

LINK: Backhoe Loaders | eBay

Last edited:
   / Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #3  
I think your stuck with Kubota if you want something comparable.

I lust after the M62, and would only add a factory cab if they had one available.

I'm sure it's aggravating dealing with the delays, but try to
Think long term, over the course of the many many years of ownership, this delay and aggravation will be insignificant in the long run.

Have you checked with other dealers? Try looking at dealers far away who are willing to ship.

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #4  
I think they stopped making them, but the JD110 was a good unit. Maybe you could find a clean used one?

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #6  
Top and tilt is really rather simple so I kind of wonder if the problem is not figuring it out, but maybe getting the parts or a quality issue. I personally would do an aftermarket setup and get to using the machine.

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #7  
Could the problem with Top-N-Tilt be the rear remotes for the L47? I added my own remotes on my L39, powered off the swing pump. I have to take them off for the backhoe. It is just two bolts and two hydraulic quick connections so it is not bad, but it would be nice to have the factory ones that could stay on all time.

I don't know when the L45 was discontinued, but have you called around to see if any dealers have a new one left in stock?

I think they stopped making them, but the JD110 was a good unit. Maybe you could find a clean used one?
I looked hard for a clean JD110 back in 2009. Everyone I found was pretty beat up. I eventually found a very clean L39 and have been quit happy with it.

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed
My problem has been solved.

Kubota's problem was with the cylinders on the T&T an outside vendor was producing for them, the hole in the fork on the cylinder's shaft was in the wrong location and did not allow the 3PH to have full travel and at the same time they were not happy with the quality of the cylinders. They have found a new vendor, but they are estimating 3 to 4 months before they receive the product, it has to go through engineer, legal, production, shipping and all of that.

The dealer is going to install a T&T using Gearmore cylinders, all the rest will be Kubota. I was told if the aftermarket stuff is on the original invoice it will be covered by the Kubota insurance.

I was concerned the engine in the L47 might be troublesome and I was told this same engine has been used in Kubota and other manufacturers excavators for about 4 years and has proven to be bulletproof, so I am good with that too.

Looks like I will be getting my tractor in about 2 weeks, the 4N1 bucket is on its way.

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #9  

Kubota's problem was with the cylinders on the T&T an outside vendor was producing for them, the hole in the fork on the cylinder's shaft was in the wrong location and did not allow the 3PH to have full travel and at the same time they were not happy with the quality of the cylinders. They have found a new vendor, but they are estimating 3 to 4 months before they receive the product, it has to go through engineer, legal, production, shipping and all of that.

The dealer is going to install a T&T using Gearmore cylinders, all the rest will be Kubota. I was told if the aftermarket stuff is on the original invoice it will be covered by the Kubota insurance.

I was concerned the engine in the L47 might be troublesome and I was told this same engine has been used in Kubota and other manufacturers excavators for about 4 years and has proven to be bulletproof, so I am good with that too.

Looks like I will be getting my tractor in about 2 weeks, the 4N1 bucket is on its way.
You'll forget about any and all the aggravation the first time you fire up your new tractor on your own land! That is a really nice machine! You know we will all be waiting for (action) pics after you get it....

/ Help! Tractor/Loader/Backhoe Suggestions Needed #10  

Excellent - glad to hear it was a quality issue that they are correcting. Not unusual for a glitch in production that is really outside of the manufactures control.
ENJOY !