Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
About time to do the 50 hour service on my JD 2025R. Like my 4010 before it, one wheel has to be removed to get at the suctions screen. The 3ph bar is right in front of the cap for the screen. Gotta remove a wheel to pull the 3ph bar out.

Did it 3 times on the 4010 because the filter was inside or outside the screen. Had to remove to change the filter. The 2025R has an external, spin-on filter; so, after doing this the 1st time, I won't have to do it again.

This wheel is the biggest and heaviest I've had though. Do some rental places have the little cart/caster dealie to sit the wheel in before removing it to enable one to more easily move it out of the way.

What have you guys used?

Ralph

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #2  
I have moved loaded tires up to 16.9x30 by myself many times. Keep the wheel close to vertical and rock it back and forth until it clears the axle. Then roll it out of the way.

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #4  
When I changed the loaded rear tire last on my M4700 we used a farm jack from Harbor Freight and a pallet jack on a concrete driveway. If I do it again I might use an engine hoist and the jack or a dolly on a concrete floor.

The first time I used 2 muscular 25 yr old plus sons and a friend on a rough lawn. It's easier on concrete.

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #5  
When I was restoring my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor, I used my Harbor Freight gantry crane to handle removal and reinstallation of the rear wheels (38" diameter). Saved a lot of time and also saved my lower back from a pulled muscle.

MM-BF rear wheels gantry.JPG

Good luck and be careful out there:thumbsup:

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #6  
This was super easy with 16.5-24s (about 7-800lbs). I would only do it a on concrete floor.

1469639626108.jpg

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #7  
I've demounted & remounted a 16.9x26 tire on a tractor. Use the hydraulic jack (backed with cribbing) to lower the spindle to get the tire on, then raise the tractor to turn the tire aligning the stud holes.

key point is to keep it straight up unless you're slowly letting it lean against something.

/ Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #8  
A 31 8.5 12 tire on a 2520 or 2025R should be easy to remove and roll out of the way. Might be easier with a hand truck though.

Last edited:
   / Moving a big, loaed tire out of the way #9  
Oh. I did not recognize the size of the tire. Ya, a hand truck would work. Should be less than 200lbs right?