Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
This is from a new to me M6800 Kubota loader pin from the boom cylinder that makes the loader go up and down. What caused this? Dirt? Grit? No grease?

When you buy something it's always a good idea to take it apart, change everything and start over. In doing that, all the pins were perfect and looked almost new except this one. The cylinder rod end has a little scoring but not very much at all. Just this pin. Is this typical looking? Maybe the pin metal was soft?

Anyway, here are the pics. What do you think?

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

View attachment 475859

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #2  
Lack of grease. I bet the zerk (Clogged) failed and never allowed grease into the pivot.

An astute owner would pick up on it, but not all owners are astute.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #3  
WOW! big time no grease, they had to hear that making noise! I'd hate to see what the bushings look like!

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #4  
Galling, I'd call it, and lack of lube is the cause. I'd have a careful look at the bores also. The idea of a clogged zerk makes good sense.
Jim

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #5  
On most ag/construction equip, the pin is made to be the wear item and not the bushing. Pins are easier to make/change.

And agreed, no grease. Sometimes zerks plug up. When I have that happen, I change them. Others tend to ignore them and just grease everything else instead. Looks like thats what happened here.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #6  
When you start hearing that eeek..squeak sound, it would be a good time to stop and figure out where it is coming from and why that zerk is not taking grease. Otherwise you wind up with something like that.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos.
WOW! big time no grease, they had to hear that making noise! I'd hate to see what the bushings look like!

The bushings/pin ends look good with only light scoring on the cylinder end.

On most ag/construction equip, the pin is made to be the wear item and not the bushing. Pins are easier to make/change.

I wondered about that since almost no scoring except on the pin.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #8  
Set the bucket on the ground and put it in float when greasing so take the load off the pin.

/ Why scoring on this Kubota loader pin? Photos. #9  
Set the bucket on the ground and put it in float when greasing so take the load off the pin.

That's a great tip!

Some of Kubota's grease fittings are just a pain to get at. I talked to a sales guy (Kubota) recently and he claimed that Kubota doesn't put their grease fittings on the ends (except the loader bucket itself) because end-fittings require drilling the pins out and that makes them weaker. If they're harder to grease you can end up getting "most of 'em" and thinking that it's good enough, until...