Battery/cable question

/ Battery/cable question #1  

nap61

Silver Member
I have a Bobcat CT225 that is about 7 yrs. old. It has done everything I needed from the day I got it until last weekend. Then, it did nothing; no start, no "click", no gauge movement - nothing. The battery (original) has been going, going, going, but with a charge did it's job. In fact, after a week it still registered well in the green on my el cheapo tester. However, I figured it was time to put it to sleep and spring for a replacement. When I tried to remove the positive clamp, it broke in two. It had corroded through. I think that was the main problem. So, I will also replace the positive cable.
Question: The positive cable seems to run directly to the "solenoid" on the starter. Is this correct or are these old eyes missing something?
Any tips, cautions, "land mines" or comments are appreciated.

Norm

/ Battery/cable question #2  
The Bobcat cable design is very proprietary and chinsy
One of the few things I do not like about the Bobcat

I paid the big bucks to replace it with OEM, not sure if a off the shelf will work

I will look into it before I buy a second one

/ Battery/cable question #3  
And yes it does connect directly to the starter solinoid

/ Battery/cable question #4  
I have a Bobcat CT225 that is about 7 yrs. old. It has done everything I needed from the day I got it until last weekend. Then, it did nothing; no start, no "click", no gauge movement - nothing. The battery (original) has been going, going, going, but with a charge did it's job. In fact, after a week it still registered well in the green on my el cheapo tester. However, I figured it was time to put it to sleep and spring for a replacement. When I tried to remove the positive clamp, it broke in two. It had corroded through. I think that was the main problem. So, I will also replace the positive cable.
Question: The positive cable seems to run directly to the "solenoid" on the starter. Is this correct or are these old eyes missing something?

Norm

Sounds right to me. The big cable is for the higher current the starter pulls. There is a smaller fused wire somewhere for the lights and stuff that don't pull as much current. Just like your car or truck.

/ Battery/cable question #5  

Norm

Yes, the positive cable typically runs to the starter solenoid stud. Be sure to replace the negative cable connections last. I always recommend using dielectric grease on both the posts and the entire battery clamp inside and out and a short ways down the insulation to prevent air and acid fumes from reaching the metal inside. In over 30 years of doing this (I use Sanchem's NoOxId) i have never had a single failure of a cable or clamp or any corrosion. If you do what I say, you will never have a corrosion issue either.:)

/ Battery/cable question #6  
The Bobcat cable design is very proprietary and chinsy
One of the few things I do not like about the Bobcat

I paid the big bucks to replace it with OEM, not sure if a off the shelf will work

I will look into it before I buy a second one

I use welding cable, buy terminals and put them on myself for most anything.

/ Battery/cable question #7  
But the problem is to correctly route the cable the way Bobcat has it designed, the cable turns down 90 degrees right at the edge of the battery
I have looked high and low for any battery terminal that can accommodate that and as of yet no success

And I agree with James, I bought the "stuff" he recommends NO-OX? and so far have had good success

I have just re read James post and he listed it

/ Battery/cable question #8  
But the problem is to correctly route the cable the way Bobcat has it designed, the cable turns down 90 degrees right at the edge of the battery
I have looked high and low for any battery terminal that can accommodate that and as of yet no success

And I agree with James, I bought the "stuff" he recommends NO-OX? and so far have had good success

I have just re read James post and he listed it

In those 30 Plus years I have never had to actually buy in of the NoOxId. I have been using the left overs in the tubes and jars all these years from all the PBX battery systems I have installed years ago. I am getting a bit low though. Might have to actually buy some if I live long enough.

/ Battery/cable question #9  
It amazes me that 15 cents worth of material could end most of these corrosion issues, why doesn't OEM's use it on all battery connections?

/ Battery/cable question #10  
It amazes me that 15 cents worth of material could end most of these corrosion issues, why doesn't OEM's use it on all battery connections?

Because everyone wants to be in the razor blade business?