Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #11  
You mention quarts. There should be about 7.3 gallons of hydraulic fluid in your tractor.. Mine which is just a bit larger has about 11 gallons of fluid.
I didn't want you to be surprised when you change out that fluid. If you are expecting quarts and get gallons, you are going to be in for a big surprise.:)

Noticed that too and just assumed he miss-typed.. If he really only added about a gallon, then the fluid wasnt all that low and will most likely be fine. Still shouldnt have been that way though, even with air burping.

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #12  
Noticed that too and just assumed he miss-typed.. If he really only added about a gallon, then the fluid wasnt all that low and will most likely be fine. Still shouldnt have been that way though, even with air burping.

I also wondered, and it wasn't stated if the FEL was level and down on the ground, and the 3pt was all the way down. This is the way the tractor needs to be to get an accurate reading of fluid level, and also the tractor needs to be level in all respects, front to back and side to side.

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #13  
I think most people today believe that equipment is like cars. Gas n Go is the thought that occurs. In reality in tractors it's far from it due to their variety of uses and options they come with. A good tractor understanding is necessary and should be part of dealer training for a new tractor owner. Kind of like a video and written course and test to pass to ensure safety and operations "correctness" of the owners. It would go a long way towards knowing what is going on. And IMO should be mandatory. And the reason is this for my opinion as to why.... someone was talking with me about their tractor the other day.. it turns out they had never actually checked any of the fluid levels on it as someone else would come around every once in a while and check those things and actually do the maintenance that was necessary to keep it going. All they did was to show up and put diesel in it and go. Never a tire check, never a oil check... nothing. As it turns out the occasional person quit showing up and the tractor started having problems. Guess what? It's now broken... That after 13 years of the other thing being done. Now some might think hey the guy who did all the checking is at fault. I don't agree. It's everyone's responsibility to check out their tractor BEFORE USE. Not after it breaks.

Steve

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil
UPDATE: Dealer has given me enough oil to top it up free of charge, and says that if the power steering still worked (it did), then there was not likely to be any damage. I guess I will just keep using it like Turbys_1700 recommended, but next time I buy a tractor I'll double-check everything like many of you recommended. Thanks.

Also, I double-checked and it's 7.5 quarts, not gallons. Am I not looking at the right information?

UPDATE 2: I was wrong, guess I had a brain hiccup there. It is 7.5 GALLONS, not quarts! :knockout: Since I added about 5 quarts and had about 2 quarts of room left, that means it was down only about 1.75 gallons, with 5.75 gallons of fluid still in there when I checked. So a false alarm on my part, sorry! :ashamed:

Last edited:
I also wondered, and it wasn't stated if the FEL was level and down on the ground, and the 3pt was all the way down. This is the way the tractor needs to be to get an accurate reading of fluid level, and also the tractor needs to be level in all respects, front to back and side to side.

I think everything was all the way down when I checked, but I can't be sure now and I've already put more oil in.

I think most people today believe that equipment is like cars. Gas n Go is the thought that occurs. In reality in tractors it's far from it due to their variety of uses and options they come with. A good tractor understanding is necessary and should be part of dealer training for a new tractor owner. Kind of like a video and written course and test to pass to ensure safety and operations "correctness" of the owners. It would go a long way towards knowing what is going on. And IMO should be mandatory. And the reason is this for my opinion as to why.... someone was talking with me about their tractor the other day.. it turns out they had never actually checked any of the fluid levels on it as someone else would come around every once in a while and check those things and actually do the maintenance that was necessary to keep it going. All they did was to show up and put diesel in it and go. Never a tire check, never a oil check... nothing. As it turns out the occasional person quit showing up and the tractor started having problems. Guess what? It's now broken... That after 13 years of the other thing being done. Now some might think hey the guy who did all the checking is at fault. I don't agree. It's everyone's responsibility to check out their tractor BEFORE USE. Not after it breaks.

Steve

These are good points and I will treat my tractor and any other equipment like this for sure from now on. TBH, I did kind of have the "new car" mentality and figured I would just use it until it was time for the 50hr service.

I definitely would have liked a "training class" from the dealer; he did show me how to use everything, but not how to maintain it.

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #17  
These are good points and I will treat my tractor and any other equipment like this for sure from now on. TBH, I did kind of have the "new car" mentality and figured I would just use it until it was time for the 50hr service.

I definitely would have liked a "training class" from the dealer; he did show me how to use everything, but not how to maintain it.

Hey, look at it this way, now you know much much more than you did. Keep hanging around here and you will continue learning. I know I have.:)

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #18  

I just learned something about the FEL and 3 point location when checking fluid levels - makes sense now that I think about it - Thanks you for educating me. Sometimes this old dog learns a new thing here. Thanks :thumbsup:

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #19  
I noticed that after I added my grapple along with the new hydraulic hoses to the front of the tractor, it sucked up several quarts of hydraulic fluid. If you added any brand-new attachments with hydraulic cylinders, that could be one culprit.

/ Looks like new Kubota didn't come with enough transmission oil #20  
I think everything was all the way down when I checked, but I can't be sure now and I've already put more oil in.
The loader has double acting cylinders, it doesn't have to be all the way down, the 3 point does though.

SR