whine while roading

/ whine while roading #1  

partimefarmer

Tractor
9282 new holland
I own a 9282 4-wheel drive new holland tractor I have a whine coming from rear ends or transmission any way I think thats where its coming from only whle roading and then it is only while going down hill or when its not pulling this tractor is new to me so I'm wondering if this is normal otherwise its doing great and every thing is full of oil. THANKS IN ADVANCE

/ whine while roading #2  
I own a 9282 4-wheel drive new holland tractor I have a whine coming from rear ends or transmission any way I think thats where its coming from only whle roading and then it is only while going down hill or when its not pulling this tractor is new to me so I'm wondering if this is normal otherwise its doing great and every thing is full of oil. THANKS IN ADVANCE

It is normal if you leave it in 4WD. Take it out, put it in 2WD, and see if the whine stops.

Not good to leave it in 4WD when the tires can't spin to let off the tension that is built up.

/ whine while roading
the tractor is new to me as I posted. And this is the big full time 4 wheel drive you cannot take it out of 4 wheel drive and no I have not tried other gears on the road . thanks for the reply

/ whine while roading #5  
Sorry I can't help, but I would be incline to think that there would indeed be a little change in sound or pitch. As you mention it only does it going Down Hill.

As with all things that have gears, there is backlash. And when going down hill, the flow of power is no longer from engine to trans to rear diff to wheels. Rather it's reversed and the wheels are driving the gears. This takes up the backlash and the gears are meshing together on the backsides of the teeth(for lack of better wording) if that makes sense to you.

/ whine while roading #6  
Hi, I'm not familiar with your tractor, but was thinking of a couple of possible causes -
Does the rear axle have hub reduction? If so, are you sure they both have oil - usually separate compartments from rear axle/final drive.
What does the hour-meter read? Maybe the rear diff gears or bearings are worn and getting noisy. You may not hear any noise at typical working ground-speeds, the noise may become more pronounced but also rise in pitch as road speed rises.
Are you sure it's an abnormal noise? It may be advisable to record a sample with your phone and get a local NH agent's opinion.
Is it as loud as this one - a T6-165?
Newholland T6.165 (whine box) - YouTube
Please keep us updated on your progress.