Question about MF 1051 bush hog

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog #1  

JulianKo

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1240
IMG_6237.JPG

I bought an old Massey Ferguson MF 1051 bush hog.

Can you tell me if the two blades are supposed to be like this (pointed in one direction)?
Another thing that puzzles me is that they have very thick round leading edge, not a sharp edge like lawn mower blade. Are there different blades for different purposes?

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog #2  
Those blades are supposed to be able to pivot around their mountings. Sharpness isn't really required for bush hog blades.

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog #3  
They should straighten out when you put the power to them. Sharp blades are preferred if cutting grass and dull/rounded cutting edges are best for brush and woody type cutting. Ken Sweet

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog
Thank you both for making it clear to me. I thought there was something wrong...

So I could put sharp blades to cut grass nicely. And I suppose I could get any blade, as long as the length fits inside and the whole size fits (that should be a standard size whole). And the drop of the blade will determine how low it cuts grass.....

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog #5  
Thank you both for making it clear to me. I thought there was something wrong...

So I could put sharp blades to cut grass nicely. And I suppose I could get any blade, as long as the length fits inside and the whole size fits (that should be a standard size whole). And the drop of the blade will determine how low it cuts grass.....

To further extrapolate on what Ken was saying, sharp blades are good for grass and grassy fields. If you're cutting anything thick and woody, dull blades are recommended because it will shatter the woody brush at the point of contact. This is preferred because shattered ends tend to be "softer" and less likely to puncture a hole in your tractor tires.

/ Question about MF 1051 bush hog #6  
It might shake a bit when you first turn on your PTO but it will quickly go away.