How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket????

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
I have been doing this a while now and have lot's and lots of practice because we have enough rocks to make Fred Flintstone cry. Lots of fractured shale and of course the always popular roundhead. I think just yesterday and today I loaded about 5 tons of the wonderful things taking them and filling the stump holes left over from when I cleared it in 2002. And how did I load most of these cursed stones you ask, rolling them in by hand then climbing up on the tractor to deposit them. Great exercise but not a lot of fun long term. So what is the secret handshake to get these things in rather than pushing them around. :confused2: Luckily I have the back hoe so I can get them out and position the ugly ones but it's no help getting them into the bucket. So what's the secret handshake?:licking:

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #2  
I have been doing this a while now and have lot's and lots of practice because we have enough rocks to make Fred Flintstone cry. Lots of fractured shale and of course the always popular roundhead. I think just yesterday and today I loaded about 5 tons of the wonderful things taking them and filling the stump holes left over from when I cleared it in 2002. And how did I load most of these cursed stones you ask, rolling them in by hand then climbing up on the tractor to deposit them. Great exercise but not a lot of fun long term. So what is the secret handshake to get these things in rather than pushing them around. :confused2: Luckily I have the back hoe so I can get them out and position the ugly ones but it's no help getting them into the bucket. So what's the secret handshake?:licking:

My grapple works very well. Open, set grapple down over rock, close grapple, Lift and transport.
As for getting the in your bucket... umm. pretty much as you described. If you can get one up against something, you can occasionally load them without getting off, but no, pretty much what you described.

DSCF0554.JPG

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #3  
The secret to getting them in the bucket is to drop the bucket off and use a grapple. Pallet forks work pretty good, but not nearly as good as a grapple.

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #4  
The secret to getting them in the bucket is to drop the bucket off and use a grapple. Pallet forks work pretty good, but not nearly as good as a grapple.

Yep, I loaded a bunch with my pallet forks, but it requires a lot more skill and a lot more time than just picking them up with the grapple. Pallet forks cost a lot less of course. I still use them for pallets. :) But grapple is hands down better for rocks and brush/limbs.

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #5  
Yep, I loaded a bunch with my pallet forks, but it requires a lot more skill and a lot more time than just picking them up with the grapple. Pallet forks cost a lot less of course. I still use them for pallets. :) But grapple is hands down better for rocks and brush/limbs.
For some things they work better than a grapple, but like you I usually use the grapple. The pallet forks work better for large rocks and stumps. I also have a couple hundred pounds of increased lift capacity with the pallet forks on. The cost is the biggest advantage to pallet forks.

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #6  
I tried using mating scent lure, but it is too hard to tell the male rocks from the female rocks.

Maybe a small speaker behind the bucket, playing rock music. When they start rocking and swaying, scoop the bucket underneath.

Bruce

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #7  
I tried using mating scent lure, but it is too hard to tell the male rocks from the female rocks.

Maybe a small speaker behind the bucket, playing rock music. When they start rocking and swaying, scoop the bucket underneath.

Bruce

Some of those methods, may work somewhat, but the best method I have ever used, is to get right up on them with your bucket lip right next to them, and then scream at the top of your voice SNAKE!. then when they jump, just slide your bucket right under them. :laughing: first story teller doesn't have a chance around here.

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #8  
I tried using mating scent lure, but it is too hard to tell the male rocks from the female rocks. Maybe a small speaker behind the bucket, playing rock music. When they start rocking and swaying, scoop the bucket underneath. Bruce
I wouldn't recommend using that. There's already enough rock mating going on. I gave up on picking up rocks. They always seem get replenished if I pick them up.

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #9  
I'm a fan of the push it around the yard method. Helps if there is an incline or object to push it into..

/ How Do You Guys Coax Big Rocks Into Your Bucket???? #10  
I have a FEL with a thumb type grapple that works great...but not with every rock...!
I had a bunch of scrap chain laying around so I made a "chain basket"...made several circles of chain (using nuts and bolts) each a few inches bigger in dia....then I bolted an "X" of longer chain sections across the concentric circles...

I lay out the "basket" flat and using the loader I roll the problematic rock onto the center of the basket...then bring up the 4 tag ends of the "X" chains and clevis together...then lift and move the rock with whatever...