Tow behind finish mowers

/ Tow behind finish mowers #1  

buckshot721

Silver Member
Tractor
All John Deere 425 x485 2305 4x2 Gator L130
Have about eight acres to a lot of out buildings and trees to mower around. I have 2 tractors with a 54" mmm on them. Now have had both kneels replaced and the Dr. telling me not to kneel anymore, was thinking about getting one of those tow behind finish mowers. (D&R or something like that). That would hopefully stop me from having to kneel down from pulling decks out for maint and or repair. Mostly see them advertised as using it offset with a mmm to take a bigger swat of grass. But I want to use it as the primary deck. Has anyone tried this? I can see a little bit of a learning curve is involved. Any pros or cons?

/ Tow behind finish mowers #2  
Buddy of mine drags a PTO powered finish mower behind his B21.
Works very well, branded Kubota but I'm sure it is rebranded.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #3  
Just have to remember dragging mower compare to belly mower your timing maybe off tad when trying to avoid stone peek of ground etc.,also mowing closer to objects also backing up.
Far PMing deck etc. front loader come along for lifting I found out works the best.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #4  
You might also consider a 3-point rear finish mower. Much better control, especially when backing up.

Mine is an 84" LS Brand RFM.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1472412345.419908.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1472412628.914385.jpg

We have lots of trees too.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #5  
I'd get a 3 point hitch finish mower over a row behind, but for mowing 8 acres I'd get a ZTR.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #6  
Far PMing deck etc. front loader come along for lifting I found out works the best.

My Gravely 72" mower deck,,,

Deck2_zps3a6226d3.jpg

The heck with the deck,,, lift the whole tractor!! :thumbsup:

up3_zps3f58f1b7.jpg

It makes oil changes a snap,,, :laughing:

/ Tow behind finish mowers #7  
I have a Woods PRD7200 that has been almost flawlwess. One minor thing that was fixed by the dealer under warranty. I love it. I use my tractor in the woods a lot. So a mmm would not work for me. Hooking it up with my Quick Attach takes under two minutes. Thats including the PTO.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #8  
I had a Swisher brand and liked it. I towed the 44" trail mower offset behind the 42 lawn mower. get used to the timing and going around trees and such was faster than with mower alone. Quit using it when I got a 72" commercial zero turn. Much faster mowing with less gas. Tow behinds will need repaid and maint just as the MMM does.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #9  
We have 3 Land pride mowers and have been using them for 15 years but for speed the ZTR mowers are the best. Just depends if you want to use current Tractor's or buy a new mower.

/ Tow behind finish mowers #10  
I had a sixteen foot Alamo Tow behind Finishing Mower. When I first tried it, I felt like a real cool hand, then promptly side-swiped the garage and tore off some batons. Not a good match for close quarters.