Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age?

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
I just discovered manufacturing dates on the bottom.

I'll be checking all mine soon. I suspect some might be near 15-20 years old. They have always been under cover and never in sunlight very long.

Is there any recommend replacement age? Replace only if they leak or the spout breaks?

Bruce

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #2  
I don't especially since the new EPA compliment cans. I'll only replace a can that leaks. If the spout breaks I'll do my best to find another one. I have started buying metal cans at yard sales. I've acquired 6. I've also bought 2 stainless steel tanks that will be used as fuel or hydraulic oil tanks on upcoming projects.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #3  
I'd like to burn all my new 'compliant' pour spouts in efigy so I shepherd my old ones like the benign treasures they are. Need more.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age?
My one EPA spout broke, so I replaced it with an old one. There are probably 10 cans, from 1 to 5 gallons. Some were new and some were from yard sales.

I just wonder if there is any hazard due to an old can splitting or falling apart. I can deal with a small leak, but don't want the bottom to fall out of 5 gallons of gasoline when I lift it.

Bruce

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #5  
No, I still have all that I have ever bought. They are never in sunlight for long or out in the weather. Other than some dust, they all look like new.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #6  
You can buy replacement spouts at Tractor Supply that aren't EPA compliant, but conveniently fit both old and new cans....just saying!

If a can isn't leaking, keep using it.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #7  
I've never seen one get brittle or fail in any way, so....

I dunno, there must be a limit to their useful life, but whatever that useful life is, it's a lot longer than any metal can I've seen.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #8  
One of my newer cans, yellow diesel can, is delaminating around the top handle, but not leaking, so I still used it.

I only have a couple 1 gallon older cans with vents, you know, the good ones, left... I miss my 5 gallon ones, but they bit the dust years ago. They were nice, very square shaped, didn't tip over easy, fit nicely in the rear compartment of the utility bed on my truck... those were the good old days...

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #9  
Yup, I'm replacing all my plastic fuel cans gradually as I age. I'm just to old to fine art around with the nozzles and occasionally cracking. I've two metal cans I've had for 40 years when I got them from my Grandfather. They were probably 10 to 20 years old by then.

/ Do you replace your old plastic fuel cans due to age? #10  
I don't know if this counts. One of mine was old and started leaking so, I replaced it.