Learning curve on a mini-excavator?

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #21  
Well, I caved and just ordered the BXpanded ripper tooth. I'd love to get the excavator but just started a new job and I'd feel rushed to use it. Like DieselBound, I'm an adult ADD case and always thinking of the fastest way to do something even though I might have slower but usable tools around me. If nothing else, I'll chime in on how well the ripper tooth works.
Definitely want to hear your results and pics of the ripper tooth... I have been eyeing the Bxpanded trencher myself.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #22  
Don't under estimate your BX. I use mine a lot to clear trees and brush. I made a very agressive tooth bar for the FEL and have 4 clamp on forks for the FEL. I can push small trees (up to 4") right out with the FEL; put the blade at a steep angle at the base and either push over or curl and lift out. Once in awhile I have to turn around and use the BH. The tooth bar scoops them into a piles and then the forks lift and carry them to the burn pile. I can dig out (with BH) a 8" alder tree in an hour. Some others such as maple are tougher do to an huge root ball. a thumb on your BX BH is a plus factor.

Ron

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #23  
On my next project I will need an excavator to dig a trench 42" deep x 30" wide total length 1625 feet. While it might be fun to rent an excavator I have a friend in the business who will dig it for $2000 including moving in and out about 35 miles away. That is less than the rental and he has experienced operators so I can do other work while they haul and dig. Just something to consider.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #24  
Holly cow, what do you all pay to rent a mini? Around us it is about 250 a day total for a 3-3.5 ton, weekly about 800.00. Don't blame you for wanting to do other work but when you mentioned it was less than rental costs it really surprised me. Our cost of living here is pretty low but it may be better than I even thought!

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #25  
Holly cow, what do you all pay to rent a mini? Around us it is about 250 a day total for a 3-3.5 ton, weekly about 800.00. Don't blame you for wanting to do other work but when you mentioned it was less than rental costs it really surprised me. Our cost of living here is pretty low but it may be better than I even thought!

Yeah, that took be aback.

Last summer I rented a 331 Bobcat and ditched about that same amount. Not all the ditches were dug that deep though. I think it took me somewhere around 8 to 12 hrs total: I think that I was about what normal operators do, though I'm not exactly a seasoned professional with excavators (I'm a fast learner). Total costs were in the $700 range: that included transport fees.