Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method?

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #1  

gogojuice

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I have a Kubota bx2670 and purchased a PTO generator.
While the weather is still nice right now, I would like to prepare for the upcoming winter.

My thought was to purchase a 50 gal drum ($30) and then purchase a transfer pump (not sure which one yet).

I also have a diesel car in case I do not go through the diesel quick enough.
The diesel would be stored inside my garage.

Are there any other things I should look at? Ie., fuel additives, will it last in the garage when it gets cold -40 (Celsius up here in Canada)
Is it safe in the garage?

Appreciate the help

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #2  
Power Service white bottle - put in double the recommended amount (1 quart bottle into 50 gallons). The fuel will be fine for the whole winter and then some.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #3  
I have a Kubota bx2670 and purchased a PTO generator.
While the weather is still nice right now, I would like to prepare for the upcoming winter.

My thought was to purchase a 50 gal drum ($30) and then purchase a transfer pump (not sure which one yet).

I also have a diesel car in case I do not go through the diesel quick enough.
The diesel would be stored inside my garage.

Are there any other things I should look at? Ie., fuel additives, will it last in the garage when it gets cold -40 (Celsius up here in Canada)
Is it safe in the garage?

Appreciate the help

Try to guesstimate your usage - Plan on using "summer fuel" up until the local stations switch to "winter fuel".

When the the temperature is equal in Fahrenheit and Celsius "summer" fuel "gels", I'm not sure even a double dose of PS would be good for 50 gallons at 40 below.

I've been there, done that. About 1980 I filled up in New Jersey in a '79 VW diesel Rabbit, at about 50 above F with a standard dose of PS. Drove to northern Vermont, probably burned less than 2 gallons. Next morning 40 below. Had to put a baggie of boiling water around the fuel filter and lines to get her fired up, limped into town and put a couple of gallons of Kerosene in, shook well. Ran fine.

If you fill your 50 gallon tank with "summer fuel" you may have trouble getting it out in the winter. If you wait to fill with winter fuel you might have some slight performance loss in the summer. I'd go with performance loss.

Also if your ride has a High Pressure Fuel Pump you might need additives for lubricity.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #4  
You don't need an additive... Wait until your fuel station has winter fuel, and fill your drum. It will store nicely right in your garage...

Everyone around here does just that, no additive needed, and many have above ground, out door tanks..

SR

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method?
I'll take the hit and wait for the winter fuel :)

On buying a drum...

Obviously you want to get one as clean as you can... but most of the ones around here are used. The say that they are used for one time sesame seed oil

This is one I was looking at..
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-ind...rum/501065333?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What is the best way to clean it out to make sure I can put diesel fuel in there?

Since it will be out of the light.. Does it matter if I get a steel drum.. or a plastic one like this

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-oth...ion/415745984?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Then I just have to figure out a way to transfer the fuel to the tractor

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #6  
Winter fuel around here comes in a few stages. "Full winter" fuel is not available until about mid November or later. That is what you need for our winters. You don't want to deal with gelled fuel. The additives as mentioned do not work as well as the winter blend from the distributor.

Steel oil drums can be obtained from most any diesel equipment shop. The little bit of clean oil left in them will not hurt anything.

There are many types of manual barrel pumps available that work well. You don't need electricity to pump fuel.

Occasionally I use a barrel rather than my farm tanks; like when my timing is off waiting for the full winter fuel to come on board. I may fill the barrel with current fuel to get me through a few weeks until I can fill my farm tanks with the winter product.My manual pump works fine.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #7  
A small amount of sesame seed oil isn't going to hurt 55 gallons of diesel. If you're worried about it pour in a gallon of diesel and shake it around and pour it out.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #8  
A biocide such as Biobor JF might not be a bad idea. I have a 1000 gallon diesel tank at my place and treat it with Biobor every time I fill it up.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #9  
I store diesel fuel in a 100 gallon transfer tank with a hand pump and keep it in my non-heated garage. I put Power Service in it and have never had a problem.

/ Diesel Storage.. for generatror... is this a good method? #10  
Clean the barrel like mentioned.
Wait till mid November to fill the barrel, buy the fuel from a busy place. I'd prefer Husky.
Princess Auto is selling transfer pumps between $12 and $28. You can run them with your accu drill machine.
I'm not a friend of additives , if necessary, use kerosene.