Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences?

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #1  

bhraymer

Tractor
None
Looking to buy a Kioti DK5510 with hydraulic shuttle transmission...today I talked to a service guy at our small local Kioti dealer and he recommended a manual over a hydraulic shuttle...his reasoning was simple, if it has a clutch then use the clutch. Basically, he was against the idea of shifting from forward to reverse without clutching, especially since you need to come to a stop anyway.

This will almost purely be a logging tractor, I don't anticipate doing a lot of FEL work with this tractor. I will be adding forks and moving/loading logs this way, also maybe a front grapple at some point but possibly not. Any thoughts on manual vs hydraulic shuttle? It's really not that much of a $$ issue, I just want the best setup for the work I will do that will provide the most longevity and reliability out of the tractor.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #2  
Multiple disc wet clutch packs will outlast a single disc dry clutch in the vast majority if instances.

I'll disagree with your local guy.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #3  
Get the HS, you will be glad you did.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #4  
Multiple disc wet clutch packs will outlast a single disc dry clutch in the vast majority if instances.

I'll disagree with your local guy.

x2 if the HS has a wet clutch pack on kioti. if so, spring for HS, you'll be glad you did. could be all hyd. shuttles are like that, couldn't say for sure. good luck

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences?
Kioti website lists both the 5510 and 5510HS as having wet mutli disc brakes and dry single plate clutch

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #6  
you might consider posing the question in kioti forum for the hyd clutch configuration. or call central w/that question. sure am glad i went with the HS on my model. good luck

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #7  
I wanted an HS but I was in the market for a smaller tractor and manual was the only option so I ended up with a hydrostatic, I'm not a big fan of it but it's better than working the clutch! They use HS in front end loaders and many other equipment and pit loaders spend all day switching directions.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #8  
My Kubota M9540 is Hydraulic Shuttle. No clutch pedal required for direction change.

My Ford 3910 is mechanical shuttle. Requires clutch pedal. Movement needs to stop for direction change.

Hydraulic shuttle is decades ahead of mechanical shuttle. No comparison in useability.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #9  
The only time I would say you are fine with a single dry clutch is if you were only going to be doing field work where you would engage the clutch and then not touch it again for hours and hours. No loader work or anything where you would be changing direction a bunch. Otherwise get the hydraulic shuttle, and the shuttle is going to be just fine for the hours and hours of field work as well.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle vs Manual Transmission - Preferences? #10  
Looking to buy a Kioti DK5510 with hydraulic shuttle transmission...today I talked to a service guy at our small local Kioti dealer and he recommended a manual over a hydraulic shuttle...his reasoning was simple, if it has a clutch then use the clutch. Basically, he was against the idea of shifting from forward to reverse without clutching, especially since you need to come to a stop anyway.

This will almost purely be a logging tractor, I don't anticipate doing a lot of FEL work with this tractor. I will be adding forks and moving/loading logs this way, also maybe a front grapple at some point but possibly not. Any thoughts on manual vs hydraulic shuttle? It's really not that much of a $$ issue, I just want the best setup for the work I will do that will provide the most longevity and reliability out of the tractor.

If you are operating in the woods and on hill sides I would go with a hydrostatic transmission. Missing a gear on a steep slope can be dangerous and allow the tractor to free wheel down a hill. A hydro tractor will be much easier to maneuver through the woods and trees with too.

My second choice would be the hydraulic shuttle transmission.