T-Post installation

/ T-Post installation #21  
Ok great brain trust....

We are putting in horse pasture. T-posts and then string wire on them which will be electrified.

I am a tractor newbie. I have a New Holland Boomer 24. I have read up and watched video on using the bucket to push the T-Posts into the ground.

Soil is sandy loam and pretty soft.

The corners will be wood posts and I have a buddy with a 3 point post hole auger that we will use for those. Those will also be cemented in place, as will the posts needed for the gates.

How reasonable is it for a newbie to think I will push the posts in with the bucket? Also any tips?

Trying to push T-posts into the ground with the FEL and one person is like trying to push a rope.

There's an easier way that I learned from my electrical contractor who has to drive 6-ft or longer 3/4 inch copper-coated steel ground rods into the soil.
He uses a 120 volt electric impact hammer run off a 5000 watt gasoline powered generator in the bed of his truck. You can rent these things. One person can drive T-posts this way without screwing up your shoulders or back.

Good luck

Good luck

/ T-Post installation #22  
James KOUA,

Thanks, that video looks like a good way to do it with the FEL. Looking around at old fenced farms, one sees all sorts of crooked line posts cut from available trees. They are still standing and serving the purpose. In their own way they are works of art, as opposed to a laser straight line of T-posts. Often seen, around here are Osage Orange corner post designs set in the dirt, that will last "forever".

/ T-Post installation #23  
Ok great brain trust....

We are putting in horse pasture. T-posts and then string wire on them which will be electrified.

I am a tractor newbie. I have a New Holland Boomer 24. I have read up and watched video on using the bucket to push the T-Posts into the ground.

Soil is sandy loam and pretty soft.

The corners will be wood posts and I have a buddy with a 3 point post hole auger that we will use for those. Those will also be cemented in place, as will the posts needed for the gates.

How reasonable is it for a newbie to think I will push the posts in with the bucket? Also any tips?

In the soil you describe, a hand post pounder is the easiest way to install "T" posts. I have installed miles of them in our rocky ground with no real difficulty. I used a digging bar to "drill" a pilot home and then drove the post by hand. In your ground, it should be a piece of cake! No pilot hole required. If your are confining horses, consider putting plastic caps on the fence posts t prevent serious injuries to horses.

/ T-Post installation #24  
I always use a FEL when driving tee posts. It takes some practice and finesse, but it is oh so much easier than pounding them in. A couple of caveats though.

a) Have the bucket full of something heavy. In any soil I've ever worked in (admittedly limited), a full bucket will drive them in smoothly with little chance of bending if you are lined up right. With an empty bucket, the necessary downforce can lift the tractor front end and risk falling off side-to-side, mis-aligning the post.

b) A hydrostatic tractor that will allow you to inch forward and back during the drive helps alot. Since buckets travel in an arc, the only way to drive the post precisely straight is to move the tractor during the drive. A hydrostat will allow you to do this. I use my JD 2210 for post driving and it works great.

c) A helper with a passing grasp of physics and an understanding of where not to have body parts if the bucket slips off the post is a big plus.

/ T-Post installation #25  
A few years ago I spent an hour and put together a t rail post holder so I could install t rail posts by myself using the bucket to push them down.
Sorry no picture but found a 4 foot section of used pipe (it actually was the lower half of a teleposts you use for basement beam supports common at every hardware store ) but any pipe bigger than t rail will work, then a made a wooden teepee with hole thru the base (four pices of wood for verticals and a wooden base 16 " x 16' with hole for t rail to go thru. Place it on ground where I want t rail to go, level if need be with scrap wood quickly, put t rail into the pipe , and jump on tractor and push down with bucket, you get used to the bucket push down within a few posts . I use this often in spring and fall because I have clay, but would easy work in most soils , if one does go in crooked by a bit, you can easily bend them straight . Put the sledge hammer away you don't need it..........I see Argonne describe it above well while I was typing this

/ T-Post installation #26  
wawajake - Sledge hammer? Yikes! :eek: Yeah I would be using a FEL before I would drive many posts with a sledge. But a good manual post driver is hard to beat.

/ T-Post installation #27  
   / T-Post installation #28  
In the soil you describe, a hand post pounder is the easiest way to install "T" posts. I have installed miles of them in our rocky ground with no real difficulty. I used a digging bar to "drill" a pilot home and then drove the post by hand. In your ground, it should be a piece of cake! No pilot hole required. If your are confining horses, consider putting plastic caps on the fence posts t prevent serious injuries to horses.

I agree, and just noticed the "horse fence" detail.

I really don't like those t-posts around horses. I would use treated wood for all the posts. They will cost the same or less and are way more horse friendly, imo.

Good, sturdy caps would be a must on those sharp t-post tops. And still the horses will probably remove many.

rent a hydraulic post pounder for wood posts. Pound t-posts by hand with a sliding, capped-pipe type pounder

Pounded posts below frost stay way better than any augered-and-tamped post.

You only need 3 big posts for a good corner. With two horizontal rails (10 foot landscape ties work well) and two brace wires.

Make sure your fencewire is visible! Don't move horses to a new pasture just before dark. Oh gawd! Horses. We used to have over 30 of them. Loved them all, but kinda glad in a way that they are no longer here. Spectacular animals. Requiring lots of TLC.

Some horses will find a way to hurt themselves in a room full of pillows, some never hurt themselves.

Good luck with your fencing project. Lots of good advice here...

/ T-Post installation #29  
you might want to look at this video and see if this interests you.

Two and a half minutes -- less whatever time they edited out -- with two guys, to drive one post? I could drive five by hand in that time. Two of me could drive ten.

/ T-Post installation #30  
Some other observations.
Using a sledge is a no no as each blow sets up a vibration and the next swing often misses the T bar resulting in a seriously sore leg.
Besides you need a step ladder and if you miss the T bar you end up on your azz. LOL