Oil & Fuel Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Its rather amazing just how low cost that quality diesel fuel additives have become.

Take as an example the name brand product Power Services which keeps diesel fuel good in colder weather. A container that treats 250 gallons is normally $12.00. I just saw an ad for our local Farm & Fleet for $ 7.49. I've not seen it at this price when gas/diesel prices were this low last year . . . ???

Is low crop prices effecting farming fuel use including additives ???

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #2  
I think supply and demand drive the price more than low crop prices. Low crop prices will effect individual spending and can effect the prices as demand goes down but on the large scale fuel supply is up oil prices down and the additives are made from oil so supply is up.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use.
Last year with similar or lower fuel prices . . At this time of year I was paying 9.29 (at the cheapest) on sale for the exact same product that is now 7.49.

At least in the upper MidWest where I live . . there are bumper corn crops as its been an exceptional year for rain and temperatures and higher humidities.

I note that current corn futues are priced in the 335 range which is a really bad number (my understanding) and beans are in the 975 range currently (again a my understanding its not a good number). Both those numbers make for very difficult profitability for farmers even with higher harvest quantities. But products and services related to harvests should be in demand more (not less) because of higher qiantities to harvest and products to consume.

Thus is obviously a small example item . . however how many examples like this aren't out there.

I see no reason why supply of products like this are any greater than normal unless demand has been radically reduced.

I wonder how farm equipment sales are effected.

Its good to be able to buy milk for 1.48 a gallon on sale or Power Services at such a low number in preparation for the coming cooler weather and eventually winter. But we have more people to feed in the U.S. in 2016 than we did in 2015 but the farmers seem to be in a tough spot.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #4  
I always wonder how something diluted at a 400 to 1 ratio can do anything other than,,,

LIGHTEN THE PURCHASERS WALLET,,,

That is about 1/10 the dilution ratio of chain saw oil for a 2 cycle engine,,,

Fuel oil is a pretty strong chemical,,, the additive would have to be REALLY powerful to make a difference.
I do not use additives,,, 50 years of diesel engine ownership,,,

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #5  
I always wonder how something diluted at a 400 to 1 ratio can do anything other than,,,

Fuel oil is a pretty strong chemical,,, the additive would have to be REALLY powerful to make a difference.

I don't know how it helps, but I can vouch that it does. My truck runs a bit quieter and gets a bit better fuel economy when I use an additive. The fuel economy increase more than covers the cost of the additive. Haven't used it in my JD yet, but I think I will add some to the next two cans of fuel I purchase.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #6  

I don't use it either, nor does my relatives or farmer neighbors...all without problems.

Buy good fuel in the first place, it already had additives in it...

I've traveled all over the US, and Canada, I've never got bad diesel yet...

OK, here's comes all the diesel horror stories, telling how they got bad diesel and bla bla bla ....... lol

SR

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #7  
Same thing for Sta-Bil et al for gasoline. Buy non-ethanol 90 octane for your lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. and you'll never need it.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #8  
Same thing for Sta-Bil et al for gasoline. Buy non-ethanol 90 octane for your lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. and you'll never need it.

Where would one find non-ethanol gasoline? So far as I know no one in the county sells it.

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #9  
Well, I answered my own question. A Google search brings up pure-gas.org, which lists the oil distributor where I buy off-road diesel for my tractor as a source. :eek:

/ Diesel fuel additives are so inexpensive to use. #10  
I was just about to post pure-gas.org