Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Branson 4520R

Default Clearing for a Horse Pasture (help)

I have about 3 acres of forested land that I need to clear to make a horse pasture for 2 horses that were "donated" to my wife and kids...

1. We know almost nothing about horses but are learning fast.
    2. I need to expand the pasture area for them and do it fairly quickly. The small trees I can rip from the ground whole. its the larger stumps I need help with. Can I just cut them flush with the ground and let them rot, or do I need to dig/grind them all up? Its a lot of work maybe 60+ stumps 6" or bigger with more than half of them being in the 6-8" range.

I'd really like to cut them flush and leave them but am concerned about them causing problems for the horses. I will be planting forage grasses for them and will disc the ground, lime, fertilize, etc to get the pasture established.

Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Tractor
    Craftsmen LT1000

Default Re: Clearing for a Horse Pasture (help)

I'm in the same boat. 2 horses, and looking to make some pasture.

I think for the Horse's sake the stumps need to be dealt with, you can't just leave them flush. rotting stump = hole=broken horse leg

I'me trying to decide if I'm buying a 3pt stump grinder to grind them to 6" below grade OR hire/rent an excavator to dig them all out.

Tractor
    Ford 3910

My advice is rent a trackhoe in the 8-12000 lbs range, remove your stumps, disk or otherwise till the soil and plant a pasture mix on it and lightly disk or otherwise run a drag over the seeded soil.

Sounds simple doesn't it?

Contact your local ag extension office or soil conservation office of some sorts to ask what to plant, I woudl imagine TN growing season is longer than where I am in Southern IL so you might still have time to get it done this year. However you won't have a good pasture to put them on till at least this time next year. I planted Timothy, Ladino Clover and Orchard Grass last week after removing a bunch of russian olive and scrub brush with a trackhoe and prepping the soil as described above.

Elite Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Here are some U-tube videos of excavators removing trees and stumps.

excavator pulling trees - YouTube

A tractor is not the right tool.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Branson 4520R

Budget is an issue for me at this time... Renting large equipment is out of the question. I'd like to avoid renting a stump grinder is possible. I have pallets of fertilizer, and can get lime done by a neighbor. The real question is should I leave the stumps 3' high, or cut them flush. If flush cut will that cause problems for the horses? I realize that i may need to dig them out as they rot and I'm ok with that. Option two is bight the bullet and rent a grinder and do what I can with limited funds. I'm already not too happy about having horses yet. We simply aren't ready for them and the expenses they bring. But here they are and now I have to deal with it the best I can....

Thanks,

Elite Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

After small stumps soften some, you should be able to work small stumps out with a Subsoiler.

I recently bought a Subsoiler from everytfhingattachments.com. I intend to assemble it and give it a try cutting roots in the next two weeks.

VIDEO: subsoiler stumps - YouTube

In my experience dull-tooth rental stump grinders are slow.
    Last edited by jeff9366; 09-16-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Branson 4520R

Yes, I have a subsoiler, and a backhoe that will work after the stumps have had a year or two to rot. In 5 years I should be able to have them all out. It's the immediate question of flush cut stumps being a problem for the horses in therror near term.

Maybe I should post under a different topic.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    584 IH 4WD

A LOT depends on the variety of tree as to whether it will rot.
    We have a variety of locust that the stump just will not rot.

I cut one (8" dia at ground level) flush with the ground,, in 1982.
    To promote rot, I plunged the tip of the chainsaw into the stump at least 4 inches,,, at least 6 times.
    The plunges are at different angles, and intersect.

Well, any other stump would have rotted, the locust is as strong today,, 34 years later, as the day I cut it,,,

I did one acre, in the middle of the woods as a game feeding plot.
    It had big (20"+) trees standing. A 953 CAT cleared and graded the area in two hours.

Get an excavator,,,

Tractor
    Ford 3910

Another way to look at it is either spend the money feeding a horse in hay or spend some money to invest in the pasture so you have to feed less hay.

In the midst of the same issue as you I have weighed options on my farm of where to build a pasture for a horse and have opted to take 3 acres out of row crop production to contruct fences and pasture because I can grow a good pasture there and will end up buying less hay. The other option for me was very mediocre ground that wouldn't grow good pasture and I woudl en up buying alot more hay.

Of course I have a loan agreement worked out with a good friend of mine on heavy equipment but I would say the work I did with a trackhoe would have been $1500 maybe to hire it out or $500 to rent a machine for two days and have at it. For 6'8" stumps a large tracked bobcat and toothed bucket would do the job too, but not as good as an excavator in the 4-6 ton range.

So in essence... spend now to have a great pasture and feed hay heavily for a year then less after that, or have a mediocre pasture and feed hay alot more.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Branson 4520R

No locust, Poplar, Oak and Maple.

Wish I could afford the Excavator. I'd have a long list of things to do in 1-2 days and I'm sure it could be done, but for now I have 2 horses eating the excavator budget in feed!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast