Hydro to CVT?

/ Hydro to CVT? #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
Anyone make the jump from a hydro to CVT transmission? If so what are your thoughts? I'm looking at possibly trading in my used hydro for a new tractor with CVT. I use it for a lot of pallet work with forks around the shop loading trailers so the time needed to switch direction and frequency of having to to flip a forward/reverse lever is a concern. Not sure if it should be though. New tractor would be a Case 55c.

Jeremy

/ Hydro to CVT? #2  
With the cvt, you're using a transmission with different clutch packs to change direction.
A hydrostat is a hydraulic driven motor which can be operated forward or backward. You just change the direction of oil flow to change direction of travel. A transmission might be used in combination with it for travel speed.

Less wear parts in the hydrostat system if change of direction occurs frequently.

Get a two pedal system and you don't have to flip a lever for changing directions and your hands stay at the steering wheel and loader control.

/ Hydro to CVT? #3  
I've seen many more "negative" reviews of the CVT trans (in these compact tractors) than positive reviews...

/ Hydro to CVT? #4  
As TSO said all I've read on CVT in tractors has been very negative from owners. In fact I see alot of the NH Boomers with the CVT transmissions for sale with really low hrs. Most of the reviews seemed to indicate problems the dealers couldn't resolve.

Matt

/ Hydro to CVT? #5  
There were were some customer complaints on the early CVT tractors. I think CNH has corrected the problems on the newer tractors. I believe it would be worth your time to test drive one.

/ Hydro to CVT? #6  
I believe the complaints were revolved around the electronics of the system... The software being counter-intuitive and counter-productive... And in some cases dangerous.
I did play with one for awhile (Boomer 8n) at my local dealer. I found it interesting. I didn't like the pause between directional changes. For my uses, I wouldn't see any reason to go with CVT over hydro. And for the people who need the ground engagement of a gear compact tractor, I don't see a reason to go CVT over gear either.

I'm not sure of a scenario in which a CVT would actually be better than HST or Gear in a compact tractor.

/ Hydro to CVT? #7  
Some people like them and some don't. I have also played around with the earlier ones and the later ones. The changes they make to the transmission control system along with a electronic controlled engine has greatly improved the drivability.

I'm not saying any of this will change your opinion, but if you get a chance, drive one of the newer tractors. I was surprised with the difference.

/ Hydro to CVT? #8  
Some people like them and some don't. I have also played around with the earlier ones and the later ones. The changes they make to the transmission control system along with a electronic controlled engine has greatly improved the drivability.

I'm not saying any of this will change your opinion, but if you get a chance, drive one of the newer tractors. I was surprised with the difference.

Seems like a lot of investment on something that's been hit or miss:confused3:.
Hydro is proven and while not perfect for everyone, certainly reliable. I'm sure some of the issue is with limited popularity, field techs don't get the familiarity with maintenance and repairs of them.

Matt

/ Hydro to CVT?
Going to head to the dealer tomorrow to spend a little time on the tractor. I just can't seem to find much out there on these units as far as reviews, good or bad, especially within the last couple of years.

/ Hydro to CVT? #10  
I never ran a compact CVT, do they obnoxiously whine like a hydro??

I just can't stand hydro whine!! It just drives me nuts and that's a BIG reason I don't have a tractor with it...

SR