Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor?

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
This cast or forged loop is mounted under the left side about where the clutch pedal is located on my New Holland TC29DA tractor. Any idea of it's purpose?

Attachments

• TC29DA NEW HOLLAND-2.jpg
    TC29DA NEW HOLLAND-2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 629
   / Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #2  
It looks like a tie down loop.

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #3  
It is a tiedown loop. Both of my New Holland tractors have one. I put one chain with ratchet through it to 2 points on the front of the tractor and another chain with ratchet thru a clevis pin on the drawbar to 2 points on the back of the trailer. Straps hold down the FEL and attachments like the rotary cutter.

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor?
Seems obvious now that I know what it's for. :) Need to track down the owner's manual for this tractor.
Thanks for the feedback.

It is a tiedown loop. Both of my New Holland tractors have one. I put one chain with ratchet through it to 2 points on the front of the tractor and another chain with ratchet thru a clevis pin on the drawbar to 2 points on the back of the trailer. Straps hold down the FEL and attachments like the rotary cutter.

Supersteer on any of your NH's? Just curious as mine does.

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #6  

Hummm... I could be wrong, but I thought tractors should be tied down at four points. Running a chain through one tiedown loop would equate to one tie down point I think, NOT two.

In my case if I trailer my tractor I use six chain binders. Four on the tractor, one on the loader, and one on the back hoe.

I thought this was the requirement, but I could be wrong. But I am pretty sure it's the most secure way to do it . 😀

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #7  
Hummm... I could be wrong, but I thought tractors should be tied down at four points. Running a chain through one tiedown loop would equate to one tie down point I think, NOT two.

In my case if I trailer my tractor I use six chain binders. Four on the tractor, one on the loader, and one on the back hoe.

I thought this was the requirement, but I could be wrong. But I am pretty sure it's the most secure way to do it . 😀

It is the requirement if the item being tied down is over 10K. Under that only one front, one rear is required. Mine is under the 10K requirement but I chain down with 6 like you do for my own piece of mind.
Look at the next rollback truck you see hauling a vehicle. 99% of the ones I see use the bare minimum 1 chain front and 1 rear.

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #8  
Finally got an owners manual for this New Holland TC29DA (29 HP) tractor and it appears that the loop shown in the photo above is for the towed implement safety chain. That kind of makes sense considering it is mounted with the bolts perpendicular to the tractor center line putting them in a shear load.

/ Anyone Know What This Is Mounted To The Underside Of The Tractor? #10  
I am taking a wild guess,,, but, it could be the loop is initially used for shipping,,,
then, it is cheaper to give you a reason for it being there than to remove it.

Every one of the Honda cars that I have owned had a similar (but MUCH smaller) set of front and rear loops.