Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
Was out moving some old rotten wood with my loader - heard a noise that sounded like liquid looked on the left side of my tractor and saw anti-freeze coming out of the tractor.

Turned off the tractor and a big stick had shoved off the lower anti-freeze hose - put it back on and refilled the radiator - everything seems OK, will check again tomorrow for any leaks.

:cool2:

20160926_190950.jpg20160926_191145.jpg

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #2  
Don't buy a lottery ticket any time soon, you just used up a months worth of luck right there.

I had a similar close call early this summer, in the brush and a stick came up past the front axle inside the side motor cover panel. Was rubbing the fuel/water separator bowl, having just missed the fuel pump, oil filter, fuel lines, and many other important things in there. I noticed it as it nearly hit my foot resting on the brake pedal... Lucky! Mildly bent the side cover panel, easily straightened, minor paint damage at the very bottom edge.

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #3  
I knocked the power steering hose off my tractor with a stick. The hose was long enough to cut off and crimp a new end on. That only cost me $7. It was pretty challenging to get the hose back on though without a lot of dissembling.

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #4  
It is time to get down on your hands and knees to look under the tractor. Consider what shielding against brush was factory installed and whether, given your tasks, shielding should be installed.

Small Kubotas are open. I expect small Kioti/Bobcats are open too.

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #5  
Whew - Diesel is right, you used up a lot of luck right there. The same thing happened to me with the ATV except the stick went right thru the grill guard and radiator. It was quite an expensive repair job just for parts.

Think about what jeff9366 says above.

gg

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor
I'll take a look tonight at the shielding. Last night in the dark it looked like the only place a stick could go is where it did. Radiator is 385$ - very happy with just adding a gallon of anti-freeze:thumbsup:

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #7  
That kind of stuff always seems to happen in the worst possible conditions... in the dark, in the mud, in the rain, in unfamiliar territory, etc. You can't always operate on a sunny day in open ground, but my alertness meter goes way up when conditions are less than perfect. Glad no permanent damage was done.

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #8  
My BIL had a stick loosen his hydraulics filter;lucky he noticed and retightened.I ran a stick through my lower grill and battery;lucky missed the radiator.Added a grill guard after that one.

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #9  
I knocked the power steering hose off my tractor with a stick. The hose was long enough to cut off and crimp a new end on. That only cost me $7. It was pretty challenging to get the hose back on though without a lot of dissembling.
This is where I love in field reusable fittings. Twice the price but if it saves you a couple hours of work and some busted knuckles I say its worth it.

image-3313187644.jpg

/ Had a big (small) scare tonight using my tractor #10  
Here's the fitting I broke. Not much room to play with. The other end of the hose was the difficult one to get off.

image-3460252465.jpg