Mowing Dogs and Rotary Mowers

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #1  

JayTexas

Tractor
LS 3135H
How many people put their dogs up when they use a rotary cutter? I have chains to try to stop flying rocks, and the dog loves to chase around the tractor, but so far I have not let the dog anywhere near when I use the rotary cutter? What's your opinion?

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #2  
I put my Lab in her kennel when I am using a rotary cutter. She has a healthy respect for tractors, but I worry that she might dart in front of the tractor if I stir up a rabbit while mowing.

She is terrified of my ZTR mower and stays well clear when it is running, so I leave her loose while I mow my lawn.

Steve

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #3  
My dog is in the house when I mow with my JD G100 mmm. Its enough just to avoid rocks, gopher mounds etc - I don't want to worry where the dog is.

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #4  
Our Lab loves to circle the tractor while moving. Wish I could break him of it. He doesn't chase cars, and leaves it alone when mowing.

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #5  
People and all domestic animals should not be any where near any mowing equipment ,including lawn mowers.
Years ago my sister had our dog slip on the grass and slide under the lawn mower,cut her(the dog) pretty bad but she survived.
I have seen people "ride"their kids/grandkids on a lawn mowers "while cutting grass" totally unbelievably dangerous.I own saw a woman with a kid on each knee while cutting.

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #6  
Sometimes my dogs would be out when I was mowing. The little female would always charge at me at first, then move away and ignore me. Kinda like posturing or showing off a little. Well one evening I was finishing up mowing a small area and the grass was wet. My daughter let the dogs out like any other time. The little one ran towards me and slipped on the wet grass. She slid into the discharge. My daughter was chasing after her. I had my hearing protection on so it was like watching a horror movie with the sound off. The little dog was saved but lost her front leg. Dogs are locked up now when we mow or run the tractor.

IMG_20130904_175817_828.jpg

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #7  
My dog doesn't like the sound so he will sit on the patio when I am doing anything with the tractor.

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #8  
Until now, I've never heard of a domestic animal getting cut up by a mower. Its a tough lesson. The neighbor tells of getting a skunk caught up in his bailer while bailing hay. I guess it didn't hurt the skunk too bad - he said it burrowed its way out and left the area very mad.

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #9  
With a domestic animal, I think it's more the danger of flying debris. That can be quite substantial. A piece of a branch or small stone thrown or ricocheted can do serious damage to the limbs and eyes. Even to livestock. A small chunk of wood from a friend's 6 ft heavy duty rotary cutter broke a window at a neighbor's house while helping mulch up some deadfall. Coarse grass can put out an eye. :eek:

/ Dogs and Rotary Mowers #10  
Man you guys make lawn mowing sound like a really dangerous activity. I must be going too slow. I have never had an issue with my dogs coming anywhere close to the mower so I always leave them out while mowing.

Do you lock your dogs up when driving around in the yard with other 4 wheeled pieces of equipment (tractor, 4 wheeler, UTV, etc)?

It seems like it would be just as easy to run into/under a moving 4 wheeler as it would be to run into/under a moving lawn tractor. I'm sure someone has hurt their dog with a 4 wheeler which means it should be outlawed. Probably best to lock up the dogs in the house all the time so they don't get hurt. I men between running under lawn mowers and getting hurt by falling leaves/branches it's practically a war zone for those poor animals who are risking thier life just to go outside.

And since somewhere a dog has been kicked by a horse you should probably never have dogs near horses as one could get hurt. Doge get hurt riding in the back of trucks as well so that should be outlawed.

Reading these threads sure makes it easy to see who lives in the city and who lives in the country.