Back Dragging

/ Back Dragging #1  

JCA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Hi folks,

I just got my tractor two days ago, and it has been rainy and I've been busy with other stuff ever since. But I did manage to find a couple of hours to get comfortable with the tractor by smoothing out the driveway a bit by back-dragging. Seems like I was putting a lot of stress on the bucket/loader. Thought I'd seek advice from you old pros.

So: when I'm back-dragging, is there anything I should do/can do to minimize the amount of stress on the loader/bucket? Or should I just not worry about it? Since I don't have much tractor experience, I don't know how much these things can take. I DO know that though I intend to use it well, I want to take good care of it and make it last a long, long time.

BTW: I've got a toothbar on the front, so I've been smoothing with the back edge.

Jim

/ Back Dragging #2  
I doubt you're stressing the arms or bucket very much - if you consider the stress of heavy loader work - like driving into a pile of compacted process (I've done a lot of this) I would think it's more impact and stress on the arms and mounting points. I always try to imagine the relative stress on the loader by comparing the motion to something I'd do with my hands and arms... dragging your hand backwards... even with downforce is a very easy thing to do.

Wordy answer but I'd sum it up by saying drag away - we all do it and I've not heard of a single equipment failure from it. I think forward motion digging and scraping is harder. That's why I bought a replaceable edge on the front of the bucket as well. I think in the long run it will hold up better with it - of course I have very rocky soil too.

Take Care,

/ Back Dragging #3  
There is much less force back dragging from what I can tell. Done plenty of it smoothing dirt, rock and gravel.

Have at it but if you have lots to do then a box blade or rear blade would be better. They are a more efficient tool is all.

/ Back Dragging #4  
The only thing about back dragging that is really hard on a tractor and loader is when the bucket is tilted down at more than a 45* angle. This loads the cylinder more and stresses the entire loader. But, with a tooth bar on you would not be doing that anyway.

/ Back Dragging
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The only thing about back dragging that is really hard on a tractor and loader is when the bucket is tilted down at more than a 45* angle. This loads the cylinder more and stresses the entire loader. But, with a tooth bar on you would not be doing that anyway. )</font>

Thanks, JerryG (and others). Occassionally I will use the toothbar to loosen the soil a bit before flattening it out; I'll just be a little careful when doing this, and I won't tilt it down too much. Sounds like the best idea, though--makes sense to me, anyway, is to tilt the bucket all the way up when backdragging. Works great with the toothbar and doesn't stress the loader as much.

Jim