3-Point Hitch Overloading three point hitch can it break it?

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #11  
Keep in mind that most of the specs on 3pts are at the lift links, not at the end of the lift arms. Actual capacity will be less. Lots of tractors will lift above capacity but rough terrain usually breaks parts. I've seen cases of twisted rocker shafts, broken links and lift arms posted on this forum.
The ISO standard for rating 3pt lift capacity is 24" to the rear of the hitch...

ISO 789-2:1993 - Agricultural tractors -- Test procedures -- Part 2: Rear three-point linkage lifting capacity

Loaders are usually measured at the pins & suffer more in the real world.

Hydraulics are intentionally the weak link in most lift limits as the relief valves are designed to trip before damage. That or adequate front ballast in the case of 3pts.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #12  
On the subject of protection against catastrophic overload, there are usually 2 in the hyd circuit to the lift cylinder. One is the relief valve. It controls how much lift force can be applied. It is in the circuit only during lift; and not while a lifted item is being held. ... The second safety is a small external rupture element, always there sampling right off the cyl, that will burst when pressure in the lift cyl reaches a [much higher] level that endangers mechanical parts. -- This is a situation that may occur with a heavy load over bumps. -- Unfortunately manufacturing tolerances and/or accumulated mechanical damage may result in this safety being too close to the catastrophic limit and the mechanics fail first.
Thats when its ugly.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #13  
IMG_20161008_143025049.jpg

Interesting point about the difference between the hydraulics not lifting something off the ground vs being able to be over loaded and busting once it's already the air. I was moving some bricks over the weekend (the picture is the 3rd trip) and I had my bucket in the air while loading to save me from bending over as much. I'm not sure how heavy this was, but I did adjust the bucket a little bit right before I started moving, so I'm thinking that if I was over loaded it wouldn't have raised it an higher? Either way, I drove very slowly to the other side of the yard because there were a few bad bumps to go over.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #14  
IF you have multiple options for hooking the toplink to the tractor, use the upper-most hole and you will have the greatest lift capacity there. So if you attempt it and it dont lift, check where your toplink is located on the tractor side. It may lift your pallets in the upper hole, but fail to in one of the lower holes since it seems you are right on the edge or a little over your capacity.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #15  
Most tractors I have owned, the 3pt or FEL is stronger than the hydraulics. Meaning if you try to lift something heavier than it can lift it just won't move [ front of tractor has to be weighted to keep it on the ground when lifting with 3pt, rear weighted when lifting with FEL to keep it on the ground, etc.. ]. You can sometimes bounce the load to get it off the ground, but that is not advised. Puts loads on it that it was not designed for.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #16  
   / Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #17