3-Point Hitch Overloading three point hitch can it break it?

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #1  

tractordog

Silver Member
Tractor
T1520
Hi,

I have a new holland 1520 that is rated to lift under a ton. I am having pellets delivered, I thought I would give it a try to lift the pallets.Could I break the three point hitch doing this using a three point forks attachment ?

Thanks for you comments

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #2  
Your 3 pt has a limit. If what you are trying to lift is too heavy the pressure relief will open and not let it lift to avoid damage to the 3 pt. The same goes for a loader, if equipped, if the load is too heavy the relief will open and it won't lift.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #3  
I am no expert and there are plenty of guys on here much smarter than me on these types of questions but I wouldn't think it would be a problem as I think there is a relief valve on the hydraulics if the load you are lifting is too heavy it just won't lift it. If it does lift the load I wouldn't be bouncing across the land with it as it might snap one of the lift arms, at least i would drive gently with it. just my 2 cents. like your member photo.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it?
Thanks for your replys

Only planing to move the pallets twenty or so feet over to garage. I think I am only a few hundred pounds under the ton. May remove a few bags to see were the limit is

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #5  
I just had a heavy wood chipper delivered. With the chipper, crate/pallet, and 3 point pallet fork, I was at the weight limit of my three point. At first it wouldn't lift it after pulling the lever and then after several seconds, the 3 point got the load up. I didn't damage anything though.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #6  
+Overladed, it should go into relief before it breaks, but hit a big bump at speed, something will give.

Attachments

• 20160809_195443 (1280x719).jpg
    20160809_195443 (1280x719).jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 20160809_195400.jpg
    20160809_195400.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
   / Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #7  
+Overladed, it should go into relief before it breaks, but hit a big bump at speed, something will give.

Nice "scoop job" on the bucket load of rocks....wish I could do that...:D

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #8  
Yes. But not in the way you plan to use it. As said, the pressure relief will protect the system when lifting. The situation that can break something arises when you lift a heavy load, say 60%+ of the limit, and then carry it too briskly over a bumpy surface. The pressure relief does not work in that case [when holding] and pressure wont relieve. Internal parts on the rocker shaft can be catastrophically overloaded. ... A real bad feeling when the load crashes to the ground.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #9  
Keep in mind that most of the specs on 3pts are at the lift links, not at the end of the lift arms. Actual capacity will be less. Lots of tractors will lift above capacity but rough terrain usually breaks parts. I've seen cases of twisted rocker shafts, broken links and lift arms posted on this forum.

/ Overloading three point hitch can it break it? #10  
Hi,

I have a new holland 1520 that is rated to lift under a ton. I am having pellets delivered, I thought I would give it a try to lift the pallets.Could I break the three point hitch doing this using a three point forks attachment ?

Thanks for you comments
I burn about 5 tons of wood pellets per year.I can tell you get some weight on your front end to pick up 1 ton of pellets.