Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors?

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
I dunno what happened to the Creeping forward thread that started the conversation, but yesterday I made a video sharing my thoughts while running my tractor.

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #2  
Drive the one you like the best. I havent figured out the constant desire on here to try to prove one over the other. The waters will get even muddier as cvt's start coming into play.

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #3  
You sure do things the hard way.
Why couldn't it be simply pulled out ??

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #4  
Just my $0.02, I'd use a chain saw to cut it in smaller pieces and throw it in the bucket. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the steering system as well.

Point is well taken on the ability of a HST to make "fine motor" moves easier than a shuttle transmission.

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #5  
It's all about the skill level of the operator!

IF you are too lazy to learn how to use a gear drive tractor, then perhaps a hydro is for you... I grew up on a tractor, I can't see a hydro doing anything better for me...

Personally, I like the fuel saving, more pto power, and lower cost of the gear drive AND I HATE that constant hydro whine!

SR

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #6  
There's a reason why both types are still available.

It all depends on what type of work you'll be doing MOST of the time... or if you just desire the added flexibility of a hydro.

If your work is fairly linear, focusing more on efficiency and consistent ground speed than anything else... you will likely find a gear/shuttle tranny to be more efficient and beneficial. (Example: row cropping, etc.)

If your work requires fluctuating ground speeds, intermittent engagement, or frequent changes in direction... a hydro will make things MUCH easier. (Example: loader work, grade work, mowing in tight areas or around obstacles, or working on hilly terrain, etc.)

As I said before, it's what you do MOST with your tractor. Hydrostatic transmissions require a little bit more maintenance and are generally a little bit less efficient in terms of drivetrain efficiency (85-90% for hydro, compared to roughly 88-92% for shuttle). The slight loss of true efficiency will more than make up for itself in productivity gains, if your application is suitable. The only added maintenance is fluid/filter changes. It is possible to overheat a hydro tranny in some heavy duty applications, but most manufacturers have alleviated the problem in newer equipment. Extremely slow operation for long periods of time can result in overheating the fluid. If you're doing meticulous work, just remember to move the tractor enough to cycle the pump fluid every few minutes (again, most manufacturers have alleviated this problem in newer equipment... so unless you're buying used, it's a non-issue).

For my personal applications, I always choose hydro, due to the hilly terrain of my property. Most of my usage is loader work, mowing, and property maintenance... so a hydro is a huge time saver, as it allows me to keep both hands engaged with the wheel and master cylinder controls.

I do have a Kubota with a gear tranny. When I need that extra torque at low speed, it's my go-to... but honestly, I'd do better with a slightly higher horsepower hydro and a three or four range final, as the only thing I use it for is "cut work" (grade work that involved cutting ground, instead of simply mowing aggregate or loose soil).

I hope this helps.

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #7  
You sure do things the hard way. Why couldn't it be simply pulled out ??
I was thinking same thing, cut it up with a chain saw and throw pieces in the bucket. HS

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #8  
Actually, if you were adjusting your loader/grapple while going back and forth, your camera hand would be doing the steering. If you use your left foot to hold the camera, a geared tractor would not be for you....

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #9  

IF you are too lazy to learn how to use a gear drive tractor, then perhaps a hydro is for you... I grew up on a tractor, I can't see a hydro doing anything better for me...

Personally, I like the fuel saving, more pto power, and lower cost of the gear drive AND I HATE that constant hydro whine!

SR

I agree. Until I crawl on my mowing tractor (JD2210). Then the last thing I want is gear drive. :)

/ Gear or Hydrostatic Transmissions for Compact Utility Tractors? #10  

SR

I can't completely disagree disagree with the "skill level" for some at least, I do think they are easier to attain and maintain a certain level of competency with an HST than geared, but I know very skilled operators who prefer one over the other depending on the task. My brother and I own HST, hydro-shuttle, synch-shuttle as well as some old crash boxes and all get used. I now mostly stay with HST due to physical limitations, but my brother may operate one of each on any give day.

I don't really get the whole "lazy comment though. None of this is a competition nor are most, though apparently not all, are interested in boasting of their skill in doing a job as long as it gets done. A survey was done here and other sites on the number of hours members spend and overall it's pretty low. If you operate only occasionally and for specific things, I see nothing wrong with picking the most efficient machine for a particular user, quite the opposite.

I imagine many of us could best be described as hobbyists or occasional users if you discount lawn mowing, so why spend more time and energy learning something that may well decrease the enjoyment of tractor time.

I agree there is no "best" for everyone, so just get what's best for you. Now of course that is subject to change. I remember our new 1986 MF375 MFWD with power steering, independent PTO, two lever FEL, one for dump and curl the other for up and down 12/3 transmission; man who could ever ask for more...