Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #11  
Bush hog would be my first thought. I did not have one yet and had to get about 10 acres done before a party we were having. Given what I paid for it I went out and got one knowing the acres would need to be done a couple more times before the snow flew. So it has already paid for its self.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one.
What did it cost to get 10 acres done?

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #13  
My going rate is 60/hr & I can do an acre an hour on smooth open ground. It's key to know your expenses & operating costs before you set your rates.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #14  
There was a simple stump grinder on here recently that looked like something you could make some money with as it was pretty affordable and seemed to do a good job.

Another specialty items I have seen is silt fence installation. Many construction projects require this and you can check with whoever does estimating at the local GC's and bid the silt fence portion of projects. It's a specialty item that not everyone has but the need is very common if you start paying attention to silt fence. Its' an easy item to contract out when larger projects are behind schedule and a sub can be used.

The Silt Fence Plow On A Tractor - YouTube

Do you have a minimum for travel? At 60 an hour I am afraid I will stay in the shed. I do not see much income there?

There was a simple stump grinder on here recently that looked like something you could make some money with as it was pretty affordable and seemed to do a good job.

Another specialty items I have seen is silt fence installation. Many construction projects require this and you can check with whoever does estimating at the local GC's and bid the silt fence portion of projects. It's a specialty item that not everyone has but the need is very common if you start paying attention to silt fence. Its' an easy item to contract out when larger projects are behind schedule and a sub can be used.

The Silt Fence Plow On A Tractor - YouTube

That plow looks pretty nice. I think I would have to be nearer more construction though. Sure do appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #17  
I'm sure there are construction projects with open fields like the one in the video, but that's not what I see around here. I see silt fences going up in tight quarters between existing obstacles, and in creek bottoms where you can't get a tractor. Then there is the others issue - this tool leaves the job half done. You still need a crew of cheap laborers to put in all the posts and tie the fabric to them.

I don't see this as a viable tool for a one-man shop, nor very useful around here.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #18  
I'm sure there are construction projects with open fields like the one in the video, but that's not what I see around here. I see silt fences going up in tight quarters between existing obstacles, and in creek bottoms where you can't get a tractor. Then there is the others issue - this tool leaves the job half done. You still need a crew of cheap laborers to put in all the posts and tie the fabric to them.

I don't see this as a viable tool for a one-man shop, nor very useful around here.

LOL. I just love posts like this. You have nothing to add to the OP as far as recommending a tool and your entire posts is focused on telling me that what I said is wrong. I can assure you that there are people who make money putting in silt fence with tractors. Some projects require it to be put in my hand but many a tractor or skid skid steer is used. Putting in stakes is not that difficult unless you are lazy.

I live in one of the more rural places in the country and we still have plenty of construction projects that require silt fence. It can be installed in several different ways and the video I posted is just one of them. Putting in stakes is a breeze and someone willing to do a little bit of work can separate themselves from every old retired guy in town who does brush hogging.

So what tool would you recommend for making money with a tractor?

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #19  
I see most of you live in the north or at least in a snow region. Living in the south, snow is a non factor. For us, it’s stumps, brush cleanup, tilling, and especially mowing since our grass season is May to November, depending on the year. Since I’ve never hired out my machine (I’m getting a new 40 hp very soon), it’s reasonable to spend the money on a flail or finish mower. But there is much more competition for those services. Instead, I’m buying a 54 inch grapple for brush cleanup. With my backhoe, I can cleanly remove up to a 6 inch pine (our nuisance tree here) or wild shrubs quickly. The grapple will make the removal and cleanup an easy chore. Additionally we have more wind storm damage and the grapple will be handy for those hires as well.

Greg

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #20  
Do you have a minimum for travel? At 60 an hour I am afraid I will stay in the shed. I do not see much income there?

This was my thought exactly, and the reason I mostly shy away from mowing jobs other than field reclamation (good money in that).
I have averaged more money per hour using the stump grinder than any other means, and I've done jobs using my box blade, heavy duty mower, chipper, grapple, rear blade, sawmill, and power rake. Hour for hour nothing I've used had been more profitable than the grinder.

I would like to look more into the silt fence installer though, I could see that being a good money maker.