Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
Hope to pick up an attachment new or used during the winter months to hire out with in the spring. I really like the thought of the flail mower but speed concerns me. The brush hog mower is much more readily available around here and used much more. The tiller looks like something I could use all year. Gardens, lawns, etc. I have run a couple of ads with almost no results on any of these but figure time of year may be the issue. If someone had a decent size job for one of the above I would go purchase it. What do you guys recommend? Am I missing an implement? Stump grinder? Thanks

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #2  
Finish mower or flail.

The ONLY advantage to a bush hog over a flail is the low maintenance and reach to get underneath shrubs and low hanging trees... which are only concerns on finish jobs and the reason I would go with a finish mower.

I would imagine that flails are more plentiful than you think. Just look up stalk choppers (corn industry).

Tractorhouse.com has countless ones for sale... but I'm not sure where you live.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #3  
Stump grinder.
I've made more money with my stump grinder than any other piece of equipment.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #4  
Stump grinder.
I've made more money with my stump grinder than any other piece of equipment.

I was gonna suggest that. Probably less competition too. But I think one good enough for professional use is gonna set you back 6 or 7 grand.
I found one that costs two grand but add 500 to get it to my door but it's probably only good enough for homeowners. OK by me if I buy it for two and sell it for one and half when I'm done.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one.
I also saw a stump grinder out of Canada I think it was for around 2500. Everyone has a stump they need ground. I have not heard many reports from the owners have you guys?

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #6  
My money makers are mowing and snow plowing. Even without seasonal contract plowing, for the once every 5 year snows it's pretty lucrative to drive around a few neighborhoods and make significant money. I usually plow about 10 seasonal driveways, and when there is a real snow it's nice to have your name and number out there.
For the mowing, I finish mow with a diesel zero turn and occasional large acreage finish mowing with an 84" rear deck.

My money makers are mowing and snow plowing. Even without seasonal contract plowing, for the once every 5 year snows it's pretty lucrative to drive around a few neighborhoods and make significant money. I usually plow about 10 seasonal driveways, and when there is a real snow it's nice to have your name and number out there.
For the mowing, I finish mow with a diesel zero turn and occasional large acreage finish mowing with an 84" rear deck.

I have a snowblower for the back but I am in snow country. Everyone here has a plow. I can of course clean up when the plows do not push it back far enough. I am not sure there is any work for anything in my area. Things sure are slow around here. I do like the idea of the stump grinder or the tiller. I expect my next item will be a tiller but I am waiting until I find work for it. So far nothing.

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #8  
Yeah, hard to compete when plows are a dime a dozen. For our big blizzard last year all of the plows stayed home, so I had more work than I could handle. At least in my immediate area (1 mile or so) I get more business from homeowners tired of late and substandard work by the fly by night plow guys. Neighbors talk, and it doesn't take long to get more work.
There is only one other tractor blower in my area that I know of, and he does mostly commercial work.
I have thought about tilling also, but I generally do that gratis in the neighborhood. That way they know there is a clear delineation between repetitive jobs I charge for and occasional neighborly favors.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

/ Looking at attachments to hire out with? Flail, brush hog, tiller? Which one. #9  
Bushog then stump grinder then tiller, but the bushog will make the most money because you get jobs that repeat. I have mowing jobs that I do 8-10 times a year billing 8-10 hours each.

Bushog then stump grinder then tiller, but the bushog will make the most money because you get jobs that repeat. I have mowing jobs that I do 8-10 times a year billing 8-10 hours each.

Exactly what my thought was on the bush hog/ flail mower business. Local craigslist had a person looking for some pasture mowing two days ago. Sent them a message. Figured if job was large enough I would purchase a mower. Ends up it was 2 acres and they would pay $100. It was an hour each way for me. No need for me to respond to that.