3 Point Mower Options

/ 3 Point Mower Options #1  

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
I found myself mowing a pasture, today, with my BX mid-mount mower. Obviously, that isn't the best option.

Therefore, I am looking at 3 point mowers. I have seen a bunch of them, but don't know what the differences are. Can someone please explain what the differences/tasks are for a rotary, brush, flail, etc?

/ 3 Point Mower Options #2  
Will you be cutting just to make it short, or will you be cutting to use it, rake, bale, etc.?

Bruce

/ 3 Point Mower Options
It'll be for hire, so everything is an option.

That's why I'm looking for what the different types do, so I can make the correct decision, based on likelihood of use or multiple uses.

/ 3 Point Mower Options #4  
"Shortening" and "harvesting" usually needs different classes of implements. I'll let others get into detail about each, but here is an overview.

These are usually used for making brush or grass shorter. They mostly destroy the tall stuff-chop it into tiny pieces.

Rotary cutter, brush cutter, brush hog, Bush Hog
DSCF0158.jpg

Flail mower
FL-150-Underside.jpg

Finish mower (like moving your mid-mount-deck to the rear)
FM-120150180-Blade-system.jpg

For crop cutting, most used are sickle bars, drum cutters, and disc cutters. They cut the tall stuff with the least amount of damage, just lay it down as gently as possible.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / 3 Point Mower Options #5  
Going to be mowing pasture for hire....I'd get the rotary AKA bushhog.

They will do the job the quickest, and are the cheapest to own and operate. And can handle more abuse than a flail or finish mower.

/ 3 Point Mower Options #6  
How large of area would you be mowing? If this becomes profitable for you, consider more than one type of mower. Your BX won't handle anything too large so keep that in mind. Perhaps if you stick with Land Pride you will be better off pairing the machine to the task.

/ 3 Point Mower Options
Most of it has been 2-5 acres. In a bit, I'll post some pictures of the last one.

/ 3 Point Mower Options #8  
If you remove your mmm, make sure you protect the transmission fan. I'd go with the bushhog style.

/ 3 Point Mower Options #9  
At 17.5 Hp you will be very limited in size. Also you 3 point is not that beefy either. You probably will not find much that you can run that is wider or faster than your belly mower. A brush hog could work, but they do leave clumps of grass around. There are some small flail mowers (read the flail mower thread entirely) that could work with the proper knives/hammers. Flail mowers mulch the grass. I am in the process of choosing one.

Some flail mower sources - also brush hog and finish mowers.
Iowa Farm Equipment
Del Morino, Farm lawn and Garden Equipment, home garden tractor equipment, new idea small farm machinery equipment - DEL MORINO s.r.l - Del Morino www.delmorino.it
Maschio Gaspardo - Agricultural Machinery

Also check with you Kubota dealer as Land pride is now owned by them and they should be able to match you tractor size with what it can handle too.

Good luck
PS as your business grows, you may wish to look into a compact tractor in the 35HP range as they can do a lot more, and give you a large assortment of options. Hope this helps

/ 3 Point Mower Options #10  
Probably go with a 4 foot rotary mower. It is the cheapest, most durable route. Should be able to find one for under $1000 new or half that used. I can't see the advantage of a flail mower for you since you have a mid mount finish mower already.