Spreding Sand - newbie needs help!

/ Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Ok so total newbie question.....

We are in the process of building a barn and indoor riding arena. The indoor will need about 3 inches of sand spread evenly over top for good footing.

This is what the box blade is for right?

/ Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #2  
A box blade would work, but a land plane would be better at getting a mow level surface. For a newbie, a box blade isn't that easy to use especially without gauge wheels on the rear (a home made attachment that I don't think you can buy with a box blade)

/ Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #3  
If you can afford a specialty implement for spreading three inches of sand I would go for a Landscape Rake, preferably with gauge wheels, which has a sieve effect, which will level the surface with much less operator experience than a Box Blade. Later, a Landscape Rake will sieve out horse apples if the sand is dry.

VIDEO: landscape rake tractor - YouTube

The premier tool for horse arena maintenance is a $5,000 ABI TR3 Rake.

VIDEO: tr3 rake - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #4  
I would recommend a 5' landscape rake for your tractor. While a small land plane grader scraper might be ideal for the initial spreading the landscape rake will be more useful long term for clean up.

/ Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #5  
I have used my box blade to do something similar by mounting spacers to the side skids. I then placed small piles in line and pulled through it. The ruts left by the spacers I just raked in. I did this to place gravel on my drive evenly. For 3 inches you could use 2x4 on edge. Taper ends so they dont dig in. In my case there were holes in the box sides so I was able to bolt the spacer boards on. On trick is not to try and move too much, otherwise the box blade will float up.

The only other way I know is to lay out a grid of lath or hubs, mark the 3 inches and use the bucket to pile and back drag. A lot of work that way, but you can adjust grade if needed.

Hope this helps.

/ Spreding Sand - newbie needs help!
I would recommend a 5' landscape rake for your tractor. While a small land plane grader scraper might be ideal for the initial spreading the landscape rake will be more useful long term for clean up.

Ok silly question, would the rake be useful for grooming the arena? I was thinking rotary harrow for that.

Duplicate post.

Last edited:
   / Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #8  
I have owned a King Kutter Rotary Harrow.

In my estimation a Landscape Rake would be superior for arena grooming because of its ability to sieve and collect detritus. Rotary Harrows do not collect, they only texture.

You need to purchase a Landscape Rake wide enough so when used on an angle it will still cover your tire tracks. Usually, this is a Landscape Rake around 12" wider than outside-to-outside tire width. If rake is wider than your tire width, used straight, you can rake near walls and rail fence. For this reason you may want a rake 18" to 24" wider than your tires.

I suggest you start a complementary thread in the ATTACHMENTS forum with a title such as MINIMUM IMPLEMENTS NECESSARY FOR HORSE ARENA MAINTENANCE. This thread is too narrowly focused for a newbie. Current title does not attract horse arena owners.

((I have never used my tractor nor implements to maintain a horse arena.))

No questions are silly here. Ask away.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
   / Spreding Sand - newbie needs help! #9  
It's for horses. It doesn't need to be levelled perfectly. The horses will move it all around anyway It will need routine maintenance. A small trailing offset disc and some harrows will finish level and maintain it after you more or less level it with your loader. Not science rockets.

You might even get away with just some chain harrows and your bucket.

It's for horses. It doesn't need to be levelled perfectly. The horses will move it all around anyway It will need routine maintenance. A small trailing offset disc and some harrows will finish level and maintain it after you more or less level it with your loader. Not science rockets.

You might even get away with just some chain harrows and your bucket.

Correct it does not need perfect leveling. The "pad" was leveled by the excavator. The barn is being built this week and this will be indoors. I am just looking at how to get er done.

I have maintained an already established arena. Meaning the sand was there and just needed to be groomed. Have used rotary harrow and chain harrow for this purpose. Rotary harrow was much better at it. The chain harrow did not "dig" deep enough thus allowing too much compaction. The rotary harrow had deeper tines to break things up better.

Unlike the pics Jeff posted the one I have used in the past had three disks side by side. Easier to get into corners with.