Moving 20' containers

/ Moving 20' containers #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
All, I understand this is a little off-topic.

Coming from a relative newb on a a 35hp Kubota (I think i clocked about 150hrs on it already)

I am thinking of building container based cabins and moving them with a forklift into and out of flood plain based on season (over using trailer based cabins).

I've briefly looked into what's available on CL and ebay, and looks like a lot of machine is needed, but an oldie but (hopefully) goodie can be found in the 20K range.

My question is. Is a forklift a good idea? I noticed some containers have fork slots and some/most don't.

If the forklift is rated at 10000lbs, is it safe to lift 10000lbs and move around with it?

Other than "all terrain" and 4x4, anything else I should be looking for in terms of features.

Any makes/models you recommend (especially with finding parts, since I'll be buying "very used") or don't recommend.

Last edited:
   / Moving 20' containers #2  
On most containers I've seen, 20 foot containers have forklift holes and 40 foot or more don't. The long ones aren't strong enough to lift from the center. Any 20's without holes may not be strong enough.

Have you considered container skids?

container skids - Google Search

Bruce

/ Moving 20' containers
I'll pay a bit more attention on containers. I was under impression that I saw both "with" and "without" forklift holes containers in the 20' range.

I considered the skids, but I would lose a lot of flexibility in maneuvering as well ability to control the clearance between container and ground.

/ Moving 20' containers #4  
Most new forklift operators get a lot of use from the mast side-shift feature.

/ Moving 20' containers #5  
My SIL just got his container a couple weeks ago,,,

Container4_zps7yheu96u.jpg

I should have taken a pic of the container guys forklifts,,, they were both 20K pound rated, off-road.

My grandson thinks this should be his big playhouse,,,

Container5_zpsl8ijdiew.jpg

He picks up the 40 foot ones with the forklifts, he just slips the forks under the containers, no pockets.

/ Moving 20' containers #6  
Forklifts that strong are very very heavy and will get stuck stuck constantly unless on concrete or hard road base. They have some that are geared a little more for off pavment use but the ground has to be very hard. I agree with the skid idea, get an older big tractor and drag them where you want them. Also, at 8' wide it's more maneuverable than carrying it at 20' wide and not having much in the way of visibility

Brett

/ Moving 20' containers #7  
Unless you are using a rough terrain forklift on solid ground I think you need to change tactics. Even an older loader that can lift the weight is going to get stuck in a floodplain. Don't forget, 10klbs rated isn't at 4' from the pivot point, its more than likely at the pins for the bucket. If you can come up with a way to skid or attach tires or lift and place on a trailer I think you will be much better off and alot more money ahead.

/ Moving 20' containers #8  
Slip a wide mobile home axle under it for moving. Weld a couple of large angles to the axle for the container to rest in. Add a hook and chain to a forklift hole to keep it from sliding. Make a hitch to fasten to the lifting holes on the container end, or a long tongue to the axle.

30877_l.jpg

Bruce

/ Moving 20' containers #9  
You don't NEED forklift pockets to move but they WILL keep the container from "flipping" off the forks.

If you are moving 20 footers when empty and not planning on stacking them, a 5000# + rough terrain forklift will work. Fork extensions will make it safer and/or be sure to tilt the mast back when moving.

Normal forklift practices prevail. REVERSE down slopes and drive FORWARD up slopes.

I can move our 20 foot seacan with either the 5000# R/T (left in photo) or the 7700# telehandler (far right) with no problems when empty.

IMG_0694.JPG

I purchased the R/T new in 1992 but it's probably worth less than $10K today, WELL within your budget. Hope this helps.

Terry

/ Moving 20' containers
Well, the river bank should be hard (stone under a thin layer of topsoil/grass) as its in the mountains, but it also has plenty of soft spots (natural drain channels full of drift wood/leaves/etc).

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Last edited: