Gas air compressor

/ Gas air compressor
Appreciate all the replies and everyone seems to be stuck on the tires. I'm wanting to be able to run a big/bigger impact to expedite tire changes on my trailer along with providing air for my 20 ton jack. I hate being stuck on the side of the road and like to be back on it asap

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #12  
Appreciate all the replies and everyone seems to be stuck on the tires. I'm wanting to be able to run a big/bigger impact to expedite tire changes on my trailer along with providing air for my 20 ton jack. I hate being stuck on the side of the road and like to be back on it asap

Brett

If you have enough issues with tires on your trailer I recommend you address that directly. May need new tires or larger tires and trailer, I try to keep my payloads below the maximum ratings by 20% in most cases. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had a tire fail while on the road in the last 10 years that I can remember. I have had older tires on trailers leak down while parked for weeks at a time.. Changing out the older tires removed that problem.

My backhoe tire was prone to slow leak down and I could not find the leak. It dawned on me one day that the tire may not have been seated fully on the bead. I aired it up to the 25 psi maximum pressure and left it over night. Bleeding it down the next morning to the recommended 16 psi and haven't had an issue since.

/ Gas air compressor #13  
My solution was use a leaf blower and cordless impact. Assuming you're starting with the air hose in the tool box and zero pressure in the tank the cordless impact will be faster. Even if you were prepared and already had pressure in the tank I'm guessing the cordless will still be faster.

Last edited:
   / Gas air compressor
If you have enough issues with tires on your trailer I recommend you address that directly. May need new tires or larger tires and trailer, I try to keep my payloads below the maximum ratings by 20% in most cases. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had a tire fail while on the road in the last 10 years that I can remember. I have had older tires on trailers leak down while parked for weeks at a time.. Changing out the older tires removed that problem.

My backhoe tire was prone to slow leak down and I could not find the leak. It dawned on me one day that the tire may not have been seated fully on the bead. I aired it up to the 25 psi maximum pressure and left it over night. Bleeding it down the next morning to the recommended 16 psi and haven't had an issue since.

I have brand new tires on the trailer. 8 of them. When you hit road debris or catch a nail at the rated gvw I like to change it. Doesn't happen often but when it does I try to be prepared. One of the benefits with so many tires is it buys you some time to atleast get off the road.

My solution was use a leaf blower and cordless impact. Assuming you're starting with the air hose in the tool box and zero pressure in the tank the cordless impact will be faster. Even if you were prepared and already had pressure in the tank I'm guessing the cordless will still be faster.

Great points. I guess I'm just being a pansy because I have having to jack up my loaded trailer manually and would rather use air. Have elec impact and have used it but I don't have a spare one to leave in the truck and worry about the battery. Mine is several years old and I know they have come along ways.

I'll try blowing my filters out at home with the back pack stihl blower before carrying it with me. I can see how it would work but I wonder how well compared to an air gun

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #15  
I have brand new tires on the trailer. 8 of them. When you hit road debris or catch a nail at the rated gvw I like to change it. Doesn't happen often but when it does I try to be prepared. One of the benefits with so many tires is it buys you some time to atleast get off the road.

Great points. I guess I'm just being a pansy because I have having to jack up my loaded trailer manually and would rather use air. Have elec impact and have used it but I don't have a spare one to leave in the truck and worry about the battery. Mine is several years old and I know they have come along ways.

I'll try blowing my filters out at home with the back pack stihl blower before carrying it with me. I can see how it would work but I wonder how well compared to an air gun

Brett

You might look at electric/hydraulic jacks for the trailer used on large rv's and makes a good parking brake too.

The Stihl backpack blower (model 600) is better than an air gun for blowing off the tractor, waaaaay faster. It is also safer to use to clean the filters as an air gun concentrates enough force to damage filters. I don't blow out the inner filters on the engines but the outer filters are easily blown out with the 3" nozzle on blower from the inside out.

/ Gas air compressor #16  
Add a few bucks to this cost to be able to top it up from your CO2 welding tank. 0-125 psi regulator. For ~10% less, there's a 10 lb model. Refill cost wouldn't be much less.

Power Tank - cat-towman-series 15 lb. Basic System ( Candy Red, Gloss Black, Candy Blue, Team Yellow, Polished) - Powertank.com
15lb_co2.jpg

/ Gas air compressor #17  
If there's a dive shop nearby that would likely be cheaper. I'm not sure what that solves though. A cordless impact and a regular floor jack are the most sensible solutions. If the trailer is too heavy for a light floor jack, a bottle jack is pretty fast and easy.

Last edited:
   / Gas air compressor #18  
If the issue is not wanting to be in the the position required to pump a regular bottle jack then this solves the problem. image-3509312301.jpg

/ Gas air compressor
This is my old truck. Got rid of the Dozer after clearing my place and now the heaviest thing is my tractor and shredder which scaled at 11k and 7700 lbs for the trailer. New tractor that's ordered should be a couple thousand more and I'll be upgrading back into a Dually. Getting a jack under a deck over is a pain especially when it's loaded. Then having To manually jack it up and positioning it to where you can get a good stroke. Your just about laying under the trailer. That's the reason I bought a pneumatic 20 ton jack among other reasons. They like a bunch of air. I don't like having to wait on a compressor to catch up which is the reason I would spend 2k on the 20 cfm compressor. I'd also like to run a sand blaster back in my shop. Another reason for big air.

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #20  
I've carried a small Thomas Compressor in my Service Van since 1990... it works with a 2200W inverter very nicely.

Does a good job for tiles, blowing out lines and even used it in a pinch for my Senco underlayment stapler.

It would not be good for most pneumatics... although it has cut through some locks and chains with an abrasive wheel.