Gas air compressor

/ Gas air compressor #1  

rustyshakelford

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 5100E/H260/MX15
Do tractor work on the side. Mainly shredding pastures, grapple work and box blading. Ordered a new tractor that'll come in February. Getting serious about getting a gas powered air compressor for my trailer to blow out radiators, filters and screens with and also make changing flat tires on he trailer quick and painless. Will prolly use in my shop when I need big air for cut off wheels or bigger impacts.

Wanting to get y'all's advice. Won't be used commercially and maybe on a busy week 2 hrs a week.

Harbor freight 30 gallon truck mount for $1099-18 cfm@90
Tractor supply IR 30 gallon truck mount $1899-24@90
Kellogg with Kohler 30 gallon truck mount $1800-21 cfm@175

All come with electric start. Hesitant to buy used due to unknown hours/maintenance and near new prices. Which do you think would fit what I'm wanting. Looked at wheel barrow style and if I'm spending this much I want more cfm

Brett

/ Gas air compressor
Forgot one.

Northern tool 30 gallon truck mount Honda motor for $1899--24.3 cfm@90
Also have a $300 gift card here so the price would be $1599

4 year warranty and free klutch 1" impact if bought this month

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #3  
If you have the trailer wired with a battery for the winch, or could add constant 12v from the truck's trailer connector, you might consider a ~3-5 gallon tank and an electric compressor. I have a Viair 400c mounted in my truck, and it's pretty dang fast... I add a 1 gallon tank on a short hose off the bumper and use it with framing and trim nailers occasionally, as well as for airing up tires. My little tank will run an impact, but you have to wait a few seconds for it to recharge between lug nuts. A 3-5 gallon tank would run an impact with little fuss, give you bead-seating air volume, and probably not take up much space.

I only suggest this because, while I like things with spark plugs, you have to maintain them... The electric compressor setup is maintenance free, and will always work when you need it. :)

And I suppose the added bonus is that it's WAY WAY WAY cheaper than a gas powered compressor... Ouch!!
Good luck!!

/ Gas air compressor #4  
Oh, I missed the part about using it in the shop... 12v setup doesn't do you any good there. But you can get a bigger electric there for 1/3 the cost of the gas unit, and still be ahead...

/ Gas air compressor
You make a great point about using an elec compressor and small tank off my truck and buying a separate compressor for the shop. However, with my limited use, I'm not very worried about maintenance of another motor.

What I really look for is something that will work when I need it and make my life easier. I can't stand being broke down and then having tool issues on top of things. I already have a decent shop compressor but it runs constantly with a cut off wheel and starts to slow down work. With one big compressor I can set it outside under the lean to and still be on the trailer covered and just run the hose to my inside reel. Atleast that's what I'm thinking.

I'm so torn in what to do. At these prices, I could get a lift for my shop but won't have anything for the tractor which makes some money

Brett

Last edited:
   / Gas air compressor #6  
IR or the Kellogg, more than Harbor Freight, but better quality. 12v will take hours to fill a tractor tire, they are to small for real use. You may consider a cordless leaf blower for cleaning radiators safer & easier.

Im in the process of rebuilding a 5hp single phase Saylor Beall 705 that is from the 70's or 80's. Thought about trying to get a bigger pump to help with sandblasting & making it PTO powered. Not sure if i'll ever get to it once the 705 is online.

/ Gas air compressor #7  
I have an Ingersol-Rand T30 truck tire compressor that I bought new in 1998. Mounted it on my service truck for operating impact wrenches and grinders in ditch work. It worked out very well for my uses. This is the horizontal 30 gallon tank, two stage with a Kohler 11 hp engine electric start. The newer models I see with Honda engines available too. These are available with about 18 to 24 cfm and up to 175 psi. plenty of air for most tools and more than you need for tire maintenance in most cases. Lots of these seen on mechanic's trucks and some of the builders are using the tanks separated and mounted up out of the way.

I use it for my shop and found that it is easier to simply run an air line off the truck than to remove it. Now that I am doing more tractor work and closing out the plumbing and mechanical work I am in the process of building a new body for one of the F550's. Trying to decide between mounting this compressor or a 2hp. electric Thomas pancake compressor for the tire filling you describe. While the smaller compressor has its merits the larger units are much better for large impact tools.

I also have a Miller Trailblazer gas driven welder/genset, a Onan 5.5 kw diesel genset, a Honda 3kw 3000Is genset, a Honda 2000Is genset. So powering remote jobs has been no problem. With a suitcase mig, long leads for stick work, cutting torch and other tools I can get most work done in the field. After 26 years of this work I have found out that you can over do the set up for field work.:( While this equipment was fine for the prior service work I did you don't need this much for tractor work. You need to be able to air up tires and have a blow gun as you mention but in 99% of the cases the larger work would be better done back at the shop.

I suspect that I will wind up with the pancake compressor, diesel genset mounted on my truck for daily use. The genset is plumbed into the truck fuel tanks so a gas can is not needed. When dust is a problem I have a Stihl back pack blower I can add on.

While this is more than you want to read or hear I did this to lead up to what I would buy if starting from scratch. For the truck I would go with a Honda 3000Is genset (140 lbs.) and a pancake compressor. About 200 lbs. total weight and a smaller footprint, very close in money to a larger gas driven compressor but more useful in 99% of the cases. For shop use a stationary electric compressor and welder is quieter and cheaper to maintain. Their is very little need for portable welding gensets and larger portable air compressors for tractor work unless you have a fleet of equipment. A cheap small microwave, coffee pot is more useful for winter jobs in the boon docks.:)

/ Gas air compressor #8  
Here's another vote for buying a "quality" generator (I prefer Honda) and a smaller portable compressor... AND I already do have a gas powered compressor.

If I was doing it over, I'd just put the money into a generator first, as then I could use it for hundreds other uses...

I bought the generator "after", I should have just bought "it" in the first place.

SR

/ Gas air compressor
I have an Ingersol-Rand T30 truck tire compressor that I bought new in 1998. Mounted it on my service truck for operating impact wrenches and grinders in ditch work. It worked out very well for my uses. This is the horizontal 30 gallon tank, two stage with a Kohler 11 hp engine electric start. The newer models I see with Honda engines available too. These are available with about 18 to 24 cfm and up to 175 psi. plenty of air for most tools and more than you need for tire maintenance in most cases. Lots of these seen on mechanic's trucks and some of the builders are using the tanks separated and mounted up out of the way.

I use it for my shop and found that it is easier to simply run an air line off the truck than to remove it. Now that I am doing more tractor work and closing out the plumbing and mechanical work I am in the process of building a new body for one of the F550's. Trying to decide between mounting this compressor or a 2hp. electric Thomas pancake compressor for the tire filling you describe. While the smaller compressor has its merits the larger units are much better for large impact tools.

I also have a Miller Trailblazer gas driven welder/genset, a Onan 5.5 kw diesel genset, a Honda 3kw 3000Is genset, a Honda 2000Is genset. So powering remote jobs has been no problem. With a suitcase mig, long leads for stick work, cutting torch and other tools I can get most work done in the field. After 26 years of this work I have found out that you can over do the set up for field work.:( While this equipment was fine for the prior service work I did you don't need this much for tractor work. You need to be able to air up tires and have a blow gun as you mention but in 99% of the cases the larger work would be better done back at the shop.

I suspect that I will wind up with the pancake compressor, diesel genset mounted on my truck for daily use. The genset is plumbed into the truck fuel tanks so a gas can is not needed. When dust is a problem I have a Stihl back pack blower I can add on.

While this is more than you want to read or hear I did this to lead up to what I would buy if starting from scratch. For the truck I would go with a Honda 3000Is genset (140 lbs.) and a pancake compressor. About 200 lbs. total weight and a smaller footprint, very close in money to a larger gas driven compressor but more useful in 99% of the cases. For shop use a stationary electric compressor and welder is quieter and cheaper to maintain. Their is very little need for portable welding gensets and larger portable air compressors for tractor work unless you have a fleet of equipment. A cheap small microwave, coffee pot is more useful for winter jobs in the boon docks.:)

Great read and info. I already have a Miller bobcat efi and that puts out 12kw so big enough for just about any compressor. I already have a cheap pancake compressor so I guess I'm good to go as it is...well until I figure out what works for me but atleast this will keep me going.

Here's another vote for buying a "quality" generator (I prefer Honda) and a smaller portable compressor... AND I already do have a gas powered compressor.

If I was doing it over, I'd just put the money into a generator first, as then I could use it for hundreds other uses...

I bought the generator "after", I should have just bought "it" in the first place.

SR

I have the bobcat for backup power at home and remote welding or welding outside and it's really windy. Stays in the shop. The Hondas are real nice but afraid they might grow legs if I'm not careful.

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #10  
I would add that most places I work will have a place to plug in for 120v power. That and a portable air tank that is easy and light to carry will cover the tires in most cases.