B2620 bale spear

/ B2620 bale spear #1  

DianneInVA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Any comments/experience with this Tractor 3 Point #3F Bale Spear, Hay Spear, Hay Mover on a Kubota B2620 series.
I use round bales, approximately 800 pounds. This could make my life a LOT easier, if it is as advertised. Thanks
Fred Cain #3F hay mover is for a standard category 1, 3 point hitch. The 49 inch replaceable forged spear allows the bale to be picked up where a fork may not easily slide under the bale. The spear has two 9 inch stabilizing spikes to prevent the bale from turning on the main spear. The spear can be used in conjunction with the #3 hi-lift to double stack round bales of hay. The #3F bale spear capacity is 1500 pounds.

Fred Cain Tractor 3 Point #3F Hay Bale Spear Hay Mover

/ B2620 bale spear #2  
I have an HLA cat2 one with the same spear set-up (1-49" upper and two short lowers).

The quality of the upper type of spear can vary. The kverneland (sp?) spears on my front and back spear set-ups are made of very good steel.

I don't know about the model you are looking at, whether it is quality or not, but it important that the bolt-in spears are of the proper steel.

I had some trouble trying to get the 3pth geometry right so that the bale would carry in the up position while also having the right angle for picking up the bale from the down position. I fixed that issue with a hydraulic top link and now it works well. Before the new top link bales would occasionally fall off the spear, or get dragged off through a dip in deep snow.

Anyway, they work great with a little setup. I prefer spears over grapples on the front. Easier, faster, and much lighter on the front end.

/ B2620 bale spear #3  
I don't think you'll double stack 800#er's with a B Kubota and a scissor lift.

I use a Fred Cain 3pt spear on a 95hp tractor hauling 5x5's and 4x4 silage rolls.
Three years in and no problems so far.

Mine has a thinner top spear than the picture from eta, which is an advantage when stabbing tight rolls.

/ B2620 bale spear #4  
I bought one from tractor supply. I have no problems moving 4x5 dry or 4x4 silage bails with a 25 hp Ford, now a 32 hp for Tractor. The only problem I had was spearing the silage bails in winter. They would just slide on the snow.

/ B2620 bale spear #5  
Any comments/experience with this Tractor 3 Point #3F Bale Spear, Hay Spear, Hay Mover on a Kubota B2620 series.
I use round bales, approximately 800 pounds. This could make my life a LOT easier, if it is as advertised. Thanks
Fred Cain #3F hay mover is for a standard category 1, 3 point hitch. The 49 inch replaceable forged spear allows the bale to be picked up where a fork may not easily slide under the bale. The spear has two 9 inch stabilizing spikes to prevent the bale from turning on the main spear. The spear can be used in conjunction with the #3 hi-lift to double stack round bales of hay. The #3F bale spear capacity is 1500 pounds.

Fred Cain Tractor 3 Point #3F Hay Bale Spear Hay Mover

Are you sure that your B2620 can lift an 800 pound bale? What's the capacity of the three point? Remember the bale center of gravity will be aft of the links by approximately one half of the bale length and the lift capacity is usually quoted at the pin holes on lower link arms. The capacity for loads aft of the pin holes is reduced by the ratio of the distance from the lower link attachment point to the pin hole divided by the distance from the lower link attach point to the center of gravity of the load.

/ B2620 bale spear #6  
I bought one from tractor supply. I have no problems moving 4x5 dry or 4x4 silage bails with a 25 hp Ford, now a 32 hp for Tractor. The only problem I had was spearing the silage bails in winter. They would just slide on the snow.

Please post a picture of any 32 hp tractor lifting 4x4 silage bales.

/ B2620 bale spear #7  
Are you sure that your B2620 can lift an 800 pound bale? What's the capacity of the three point? Remember the bale center of gravity will be aft of the links by approximately one half of the bale length and the lift capacity is usually quoted at the pin holes on lower link arms. The capacity for loads aft of the pin holes is reduced by the ratio of the distance from the lower link attachment point to the pin hole divided by the distance from the lower link attach point to the center of gravity of the load.

TractorData.com says it can lift 1,356 lbs at the end of the arms and 1,058 lbs 24" back. I'd think that's close to mid-point of the bale.

/ B2620 bale spear #8  
I'm no farmer/rancher, but do have a B2620 and probably would get a larger tractor for such work; especially if needed to do it very often.
Cheers,
Mike

/ B2620 bale spear #9  
Please post a picture of any 32 hp tractor lifting 4x4 silage bales.

IMG_1479140327.674362.jpg

Oops, just noticed this was about the rear three point hitch. I have to take off the hoe and I'll take a pic, but my 25 hp 1982 Ford 1700 had no problems. This is my 32 hp 1993 Ford 1920 carrying one. Can't lift it much higher about a foot or so. The rear tires are filled, so I can move them without the hoe on.