driving down steep incline in gear

/ driving down steep incline in gear #11  
So wierd to see this question today. Yesterday I was driving my hst equipped tractor across the sloped hill. As I started to turn around at one end, my leg must have knocked the shift lever into neutral, I did not have the 4wd engaged.
Brakes locked up immediately leaving an 80 foot skid mark in the mud. Blew through a brand new steel gate and picked up speed heading for a 15 foot drop off with a pond at the bottom. Was able to maneuver tractor head on into a large fir tree. Luckily, I had the fel on, and it absorbed most of the impact.
No damage other than frayed nerves. Never again will I operate on that hill without being in 4wd, also looking for a way to lock shift lever in place so it can't be nudged out of gear.
Hills are always a factor here, muddy hills are 10 times worse. Lesson learned, won't be forgotten any time soon.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #12  
So wierd to see this question today. Yesterday I was driving my hst equipped tractor across the sloped hill. As I started to turn around at one end, my leg must have knocked the shift lever into neutral, I did not have the 4wd engaged.
Brakes locked up immediately leaving an 80 foot skid mark in the mud. Blew through a brand new steel gate and picked up speed heading for a 15 foot drop off with a pond at the bottom. Was able to maneuver tractor head on into a large fir tree. Luckily, I had the fel on, and it absorbed most of the impact.
No damage other than frayed nerves. Never again will I operate on that hill without being in 4wd, also looking for a way to lock shift lever in place so it can't be nudged out of gear.
Hills are always a factor here, muddy hills are 10 times worse. Lesson learned, won't be forgotten any time soon.

Wow, that slide downhill had to be nuts! Thanks for posting. That's a good example of how things can go bad in a split second.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #13  
"Drop the bucket! Drop the bucket!"

-It will put some weight back on those skidding back tires in addition to providing some braking itself.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #14  
My B-I-L was going down a wet hill with two full hay wagons behind him. Large 2wd late 70's JD (one of his newer tractors). Rear end stepped out and both hay wagons came around and one of them smashed into the side of the tractor. He said he thought he was done for. Not long after that he bought a late model JD.........with 4wd.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #16  
I hear you, but...
A person don't know what they don't know. Give credit for asking. We all come from different backgrounds (most Americans drive automatics), so things that seem obvious to you and me, to another person....well, a person don't know what they don't know.

....but should they be able to figure it out on their own? That's a more complicated question.

Absolutely. No such thing as a dumb question.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #17  

Holy crap!! That sounds like a scary situation. Glad it worked out alright in the end.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #18  
Glad you did not get hurt. We have no real hills here but do have some slopes on branches and such. As suggested lowering the FEL may have worked great but if you were already running with speed down the hill probably need to lower it carefully so you do not flip. Would suggest if you know you will be going down such a hill if possible a blade or disk can be a good anchor to drop on the rear end.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #19  
As mentioned keep the bucket low when starting. Even better is having it full of dirt. Start digging it in before the downhill speed increases.

Set the bucket down in float. Keep the blade at a slight upward tilt. To slow down tilt blade down.

Now the best way may be to back off and find a better route.

/ driving down steep incline in gear #20  
I don't want to start the debate again, but I'd also keep it in 4wd. My place is hilly. I rarely take it out of 4wd.

Another story (we are full of them aren't we): My place has a large watershed dam on a 12 or so acre pond. The county sends someone out to mow it from time-to-time. It is so steep it is a pain to walk up. I tried driving up it on my tractor and even in 4wd it immediately began to lose traction (grass), so I backed off.

I heard them mowing it one day and ran down to the lake to see what special equipment they were using. I was shocked to see a basic 2wd JD. Single set of rear tires set wide but not real wide. Rotary mower sitting on its skid shoes,no tail wheel. Young man driving it sitting crossway in the seat with legs braced to keep him from sliding out of the seat. Using hand throttle flying back and forth _across_ the dam. At one point he got to one end, whipped it around to make another pass and the rears came loose and slid downhill. I heard him "whoop" from 200 yards away but he kept at it without ever slowing down. He either had a great deal of experience, no sense or a great deal of intestinal fortitude. I'm guessing a little of all three.

I watched him mowing the whole thing expecting to witness a tragedy. He didn't have another problem even when he bounced over an old log that had washed up.

I mow the road on top of the dam. If I get too close to the edge it gives me a huge pucker but apparently a normal tractor can stand a LOT more side incline than I'm willing to drive on.