Skid Plate??

/ Skid Plate?? #1  

docsfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
I have a Mahindra 5035 and I'd like to put some skid plates on it... Are there any good threads on DIY skid plates or any commercially available skid plates available? I tried searching and nothing came up.
I'd like them to be easy to remove for maintenance.
Thanks!!
Quinn

/ Skid Plate?? #2  
I made one for my MF 1529. It was easy enough....started with a piece of cardboard and trimmed it to fit the area I wanted covered. I cut some right angle brackets and bolted the skid plate to the tractor. All the details of my DIY tractor skid plate are on my web site.

Here is a photo of it before I installed it.

skidplate-6.jpg

/ Skid Plate?? #3  
Forum member Rustyiron has an excellent write up on a skid plate he built

/ Skid Plate?? #4  
Andy, you beat me to it... Perhaps there's a link to that thread, after mention of a skid plate in your ROPS thread, I'd like to review Rusy's work as well.

/ Skid Plate?? #6  
Well, I will enter the contest for the smallest skid plate!

It covers the area where the front drive shaft and engine oil pan are exposed. Made it after the plastic drive shaft cover was damaged by something years ago.

Guess this could be submitted as an example of a area-specific protection plate... :)

(Hope the picture works!)

8493d1033784944-skid-plates-belly-pans-anyone-47-199898-plate2-jpg

/ Skid Plate?? #7  
I have a Mahindra 5035 and I'd like to put some skid plates on it... Are there any good threads on DIY skid plates or any commercially available skid plates available? I tried searching and nothing came up.
I'd like them to be easy to remove for maintenance.
Thanks!!
Quinn

I'm planning to install one soon on my 3550 (same machine, slightly different motor). From what I've seen on the underside, and where I've seen sticks get stuck, the area that needs protection is between the loader brackets. Everything else is fairly solid. I'm planning to weld some tabs (with nuts welded in place), to the side of the loader brackets. Then a flat plate will bolt up to those tabs. I think 6-8 bolts would be sufficient, and would come off very quickly for maintenance.

/ Skid Plate?? #8  
Well, I will enter the contest for the smallest skid plate!

It covers the area where the front drive shaft and engine oil pan are exposed. Made it after the plastic drive shaft cover was damaged by something years ago.

Guess this could be submitted as an example of a area-specific protection plate... :)

You're making me feel guilty about leaving my damaged plastic drive shaft cover as is -damaged and still exposed- on my B7800! For others with tractors like ours I'd suggest something under that middle core frame to cover the hole there (to the read of where your skid shield ends); I had some brush poke up there and knock the hydraulic fluid return hose from the pipe- left me stranded (HST)!

If there are accommodating holes for attaching the plate I'd suggest looking in to rivnuts (Rivet Nuts | Rivet Nuts & Threaded Inserts). The skid plates on my VW Golfs use them.

/ Skid Plate?? #9  

It's been a while since I've looked at that post, not real descriptive or helpful. I need to drop the plate and clean out the junk that accumulates in there and try to do a little better explanation along with some more pics if you like. I really only had 3 places to locate a "crossmember" and used 3/8" X 2" bars running parallel with the tractor in between these 3 x-members.

/ Skid Plate?? #10  
My skid plate is made of 1/2" thick steel. It would be rather heavy to take off without a jack or some other method of lowering and lifting it when I need to do maintenance. So the guy who designed and fabricated it for me made it in two pieces. The smaller front piece is more likely to be removed for regular maintenance. This is held on with 2 bolts near the front of the piece. The rear of the piece is held on by a tongue-and-groove section that slides on to the front of the larger rear piece. Remove two bolts, and the front piece slides off and is light enough to handle easily.