How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW".

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW". #31  
Fantastic. Tell me a little about your process for removing excess grease near the pins and around the zerks? I'm not sure I'll ever have time to do a cleanup like yours, but if I did... Looks like it has awesome ground clearance, how much?

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW".
Fantastic. Tell me a little about your process for removing excess grease near the pins and around the zerks? I'm not sure I'll ever have time to do a cleanup like yours, but if I did... Looks like it has awesome ground clearance, how much?

Normally, grease comes off with a putty knife, screwdriver, wire brush and pressure washer. Maybe before the pressure wash is a bucket of hot water, Dawn detergent and a wheel brush. For the loader where there is softer grease you need paper towels and sometimes a solvent such as brake clean or paint thinner. This tractor sat outside so accumulated grease sort of dried up and fell off, making things easier.

Also, when I removed all the loader pins to clean the pins and bushings, I had access to any hidden grease. Even so, there was a small amount of tucked-in grease that was painted over. Not much and you'll never know.

Ground clearance for most farm type tractors in 19" to 20" and this one is right around that amount. I can drive over lots of stuff but usually manage to hit the dog piles on the way to the barn. :D

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW". #33  
Great Job and thanks for sharing your adventure .

Great Job and thanks for sharing your adventure .

Little known fact is that I spent a few decades north of Bangor.

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW". #35  
Little known fact is that I spent a few decades north of Bangor.

You mean there are actually sane people north of Bangor??? :D

You mean there are actually sane people north of Bangor??? :D

We used "normal" and "different". Very few were normal. Everyone was eccentric (that's a nice word for odd) to a degree. I could write a book.

South of Augusta, people were just weird. Ditto on a second book.

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW". #37  
We used "normal" and "different". Very few were normal. Everyone was eccentric (that's a nice word for odd) to a degree. I could write a book.

South of Augusta, people were just weird. Ditto on a second book.

Coming back from Iraq in 2003, stopped in Bangor, 2 a.m., the local VFW chapter was there to greet us. Dozen or so, 60 plus veterans and their wives. Wonderful hour layover visiting with those people. As a First Sergeant stopping there with 120 Soldiers I was extremely moved. I'll never forget those people. My young Soldiers were overwhelmed. Those people treated them as their own children/grandchildren. :)

Coming back from Iraq in 2003, stopped in Bangor, 2 a.m., the local VFW chapter was there to greet us. Dozen or so, 60 plus veterans and their wives. Wonderful hour layover visiting with those people. As a First Sergeant stopping there with 120 Soldiers I was extremely moved. I'll never forget those people. My young Soldiers were overwhelmed. Those people treated them as their own children/grandchildren. :)

They have been doing that for many years, regardless of time of day, temperature or whatever and it is very well organized. They mean those greetings.

/ How to restore a neglected M6800 Kubota back to "WOW". #39  
They have been doing that for many years, regardless of time of day, temperature or whatever and it is very well organized. They mean those greetings.

Yes they do... I was completely humbled.

Here's an update to this thread that I posted as a separate thread elsewhere a while back. Should also post here to put these two together. Here's what I found when I pulled the loader pins out to check, clean, wipe off and re-grease. Anyone with a new-to-them tractor/loader should do this. Heads off trouble at the pass so pull the pins, wipe and clean. Be careful since there's tension on loader parts so they can "spring" at you plus be hard to get back together.

Anyway,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/368226-heres-why-you-grease-your.html