Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Given the length of drive and roads on my place, I need to be thinking about snow removal.

Tractor is JD5100 with cab and FEL.

Now... this is Kentucky, so a huge amount of snow is not typical. Therefore, I am wondering what would be the 'best' ie most useful tool which will do the job for me. My neighbors said they only 'plowed' twice last year. I know the year before (Polar Vortex) was much worse. I think that Ice is a bigger concern than snow typically.

Be that as it may... it turns out that I need to figure out what I 'need' given the situation. It is somewhat tough actually.

There is a true need, although it is not a HUGE and consistent need. I'm not plowing 2' of snow several times a month throughout winter. I might plow 6" a couple times a year. This is what makes it difficult. its that 'middle ground' causing me to need something, but not something dedicated.

Initially, I was going to just get an FEL hydraulically angled plow, and leave it at that. However, as I have thought about it, given the relatively infrequent use, I don't know that this is the best place to spend my money. Given the plows specificity and limited use for anything other than snow.

Then I began thinking of just getting a hydraulically controlled rear blade. This would be much more useful for things OTHER than snow, and still do a decent job on the intermittent snow we get.

THEN, I began thinking about getting a box blade, which I need anyway for gravel road care etc. but it would be the thing that would do the 'least well' given a long drive to clear of snow.

What are your thoughts? At this point, I'm leaning to a rear grader blade. I'd like to get it with hydraulics... but that ups the price quite a bit. Needs to be Cat 2 to be worth it for me.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #2  
We use these with a regular bucket. We plow until the bucket overflows, dump it and go again.

IMG_3118-L.jpg

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #3  
We live in the mountains of western North Carolina at 3500 ft. Sounds like we have similar snow conditions - no plowable snow some years, and two or three storms with 6" or so most years, which we need to plow unless it's going to warm up quickly or it turns to ice when we drive on it. We get a blizzard that blows some sections clean and leaves 2 ft. elsewhere once every 10 years or so.

I find a rear blade works very well most of the time. Hydraulic control is totally unnecessary, but go ahead if you have money to burn.

The blade does not work well in blizzard years, but the FEL bucket will take care of it - just takes lots of time.

You don't say what your driveway is. The blade works well on gravel once it freezes, but you have to take care if it's not to avoid throwing too much gravel. It should work well on pavement, but I suspect you have to be more careful to clean the surface if icing is expected. You can drive on some ice with gravel.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #4  
Is that bucket skid something you made or can it be purchased somewhere, I like the looks of that.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #5  
You buy them. Found them on this forum, don't recall where I ordered them but I'm sure someone will step up.

We like them because they make it a lot easier to plow our 675' gravel driveway, without spending a lot of money or tieing up the tractor for other uses.

We get a lot of snow in NH, but my neighbor plows it when we're not there so I only need them 2-3 times a season, knock wood.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #7  
As stated a rear blade should take care of your snow duties.Purchase one at least as wide as your rear wheels when the blade is fully angled.Hydraulic angle would be nice but not necessary.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #8  
I have been looking at bucket edge tamers for several years. If had a gravel driveway in a light snow region they would be high on my list along with an economy rear blade. I still use a manual 7' county line blade, and it works great.
For the record, after reading this thread I ordered a set of the edge tamers. They look like a nice option to push snow off a driveway edge and into the grass.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #9  
My gravel driveway is a mile long. I've always used a "medium duty" rear blade to move the snow. For a while, when I had the smaller Ford 1700, I also had a rear mount snow blower. The berms would get too big & frozen to move with the rear blade. Now with my Kubota M6040 the rear blade will handle the berms also.

With the rear blade on, my Kubota weighs right at 9300# - the rear tire width is 80" and the rear blade is Land Pride RB3596 - 96" wide & 566#. The blade is not hydraulic but will angle, offset and tilt. For the few time I need the rear blade to be heavier, not for snow removal, I have a cast concrete block weighing 400# that sits on the blade.

A heavy snow here will leave 12" to 16" accumulation. Fortunately, in the 34 years I've been here there has only been drifting on the driveway once.

After a heavy snow it will take me maybe 3 to 4 hours to clear the driveway, open up the mailbox area and make my yard passable.

/ Snow... blade choices for Northern Kentucky #10  
I agree w/nybirdman post. :thumbsup: