Grass? Leaves?- Snow?

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
What's a guy to do? I'm still mowing and sucking up leaves. Every time I think the summer/fall tractroring is done, it rains and is mild....about 50 deg today, going to about 60 deg with rain tomorrow.

The switch over to snow mode will have to be quick...unless it hardly snows like the past two winters. Mother Nature sure is fickle.:confused:

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #2  
I could do with a no snow winter.
This broken leg has messed up my seasonal transition BIG TIME.
Forget the leaves, they are just not going to get done this year.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow?
LD, it's funny (not) how one's life goes on even with a broken leg.........

Maybe by Spring, you'll hardly remember what all didn't get done......except it will probably be staring you in the face then too.

Darn it all. No snow ain't a bad idea either.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #4  

Maybe by Spring, you'll hardly remember what all didn't get done......except it will probably be staring you in the face then too.

Oh yes... Life has indeed continued without a thought about if I was ready or not.

I just look back & remember that things didn't get done when I was working and figure I lived through that & will live through this too.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #5  
My mowing a raking are done for the year. I have leaves out there but they will blow away or feed my yard. I have raked twice.. not doing a third. I cheated though.. used a pull behind leaf sweaper... but everything is put away for the year.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #6  
What's a guy to do? I'm still mowing and sucking up leaves. Every time I think the summer/fall tractroring is done, it rains and is mild....about 50 deg today, going to about 60 deg with rain tomorrow.

The switch over to snow mode will have to be quick...unless it hardly snows like the past two winters. Mother Nature sure is fickle.:confused:

I have a Husqvarna 54in mower in the garage to fight the great leaves war, it's been a tough battle which is not over, lots of leaves still on the trees in my area.

I also hooked the grader blade up to the 4320 and it's parked in the barn ready to go. I actually got bored today and worked the gravel section of the driveway today lol. So I'm set for both.

Also I chop my leaves up, I don't collect them, I did last year but only to use it as bedding in the chicken coop.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #7  

Keep eye on the weather channel plan 3 or 4 days head,in mean time mow or leaf duties until,getting the little things done before old man winter comes knocking....its never ending cycle. ;)

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #8  
LD, it's funny (not) how one's life goes on even with a broken leg......... Maybe by Spring, you'll hardly remember what all didn't get done......except it will probably be staring you in the face then too. Darn it all. No snow ain't a bad idea either.

We need snow up at the cottage, as the local economy was devastated by last year's mild winter. When you don't live up there, you don't realize how many people in the surrounding small towns depend upon the snowmobilers coming up in the winter and patronizing the local businesses.

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #9  
We are awash in mud here in central Michigan, time to be done and time for a really hard freeze.
Aside from puttering around the farmstead, ground is too wet to fall chisel plow and getting into the woods is an exercise in axel deep mud.
Oh well, good excuse to organize the work shop and may be make a trip to the local scrap yard.

B John

/ Grass? Leaves?- Snow? #10  
I am not messing with leaves till they all fall to the ground. Right now it is a toss up as to whether or not leaves will fall. Due to summer drought, many trees are already nearly bare because they started shedding leave in August/September while other like sweetgum are pretty much fully leafed out. I did take the mower and consolidate the falling pine needles around all my pines last week. I don't like them getting on the grass thick because they kill the grass, so I just piled them up around the tree trunks.
IF I gather leaves it will just be for compost in my garden, otherwise I shred them with the mower and feed them back into the lawn. What I really hate is folks that burn (and that is being generous) leaves. Most they just create a lot of smoke while doing it. I would suggest that it is much better to shred them into bits and let them compost than smoking up the neighborhood at least for those with acreage enough to have a large composting area. Rotted leaves are excellent compost for gardens and flower beds and great for the lawn as well.