Tires To load or not to load tires

/ To load or not to load tires #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
I have debating this for a little while. I have a 05 4320 JD, the thing weighs around 5200lbs with the cab as far as the closest estimate. I don't really pull anything with it right now, mainly FEL work but I like the idea of putting more weight down low to offset the cab. BUT don't like the idea of all the moisture on the rims.

/ To load or not to load tires #2  
Not that I'm an example of long term reliability, but I love the extra weight and better traction. Keep your rims covered and your good to go. Check out rimguard or windshield washer fluid. I bet you'll consider it one of the best things you do to your tractor

Brett

/ To load or not to load tires #3  
I would not own a tractor without loaded tires. It makes a huge difference. I have never had any problems with the rims. My 1980 4440 has loaded tires I am guessing they have always been loaded. 36 years and still going strong.

Every tractor I have operated and especially small ones have had way more power than traction. When you push your tractor to the limits does the engine bog down and stall or do you lose traction? I have never seen a tractor with more traction than power. Adding weight will help the traction issue immensely. It also aids in stability because the weight is down low.

For loader work the back end of a tractor gets mighty light when lifting heavy things. Loading the tires will help.

The only downside I can see to loading tires is it makes it heavier to transport which may be an issue if your trailer is marginal, you might rut up your lawn more due to the added weight, and flats are a mess but I have only had one rear flat in 15 years of tractoring.

/ To load or not to load tires #4  
I have debating this for a little while. I have a 05 4320 JD, the thing weighs around 5200lbs with the cab as far as the closest estimate. I don't really pull anything with it right now, mainly FEL work but I like the idea of putting more weight down low to offset the cab. BUT don't like the idea of all the moisture on the rims.

Rim Guard in all four tires.

/ To load or not to load tires
I would not own a tractor without loaded tires. It makes a huge difference. I have never had any problems with the rims. My 1980 4440 has loaded tires I am guessing they have always been loaded. 36 years and still going strong.

Every tractor I have operated and especially small ones have had way more power than traction. When you push your tractor to the limits does the engine bog down and stall or do you lose traction? I have never seen a tractor with more traction than power. Adding weight will help the traction issue immensely. It also aids in stability because the weight is down low.

For loader work the back end of a tractor gets mighty light when lifting heavy things. Loading the tires will help.

The only downside I can see to loading tires is it makes it heavier to transport which may be an issue if your trailer is marginal, you might rut up your lawn more due to the added weight, and flats are a mess but I have only had one rear flat in 15 years of tractoring.

I have a buddy with a 2500hd and a tandem 10k equipment trailer, my tractor is barely over half that now, that rig is what I used to bring it home, truck barely knew it was back there

/ To load or not to load tires #7  
Unless you have a backhoe, I'd have those rear tires filled.
Another option...and one I prefer, is a rear weight box. The weight box, IMHO, is a better choice since you can drop it off pretty easily.
However, the filled tires add more stability (then a weight box) if you run across slopes.

/ To load or not to load tires #8  
Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

Is this the stuff that's like windshield washer fluid?

Rimguard is sugar beet juice... Tastes/smells/sticky kind of like thin mole arses... usually loose a tiny bit each time you check or adjust tire pressure, but washes right off... Makes you look around and wonder where the cookies are... :)

/ To load or not to load tires #9  
Load 'em. Or get cast weights. Or both...

/ To load or not to load tires #10  
You can add three 110 lb. weights to each rear wheel if you don't like the fluid fill. I use this set up on my 4520 with good results.