square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
Guess my age is showing. Never thought this would be a practical endeavor

/ Unfathomable #2  
imagine the cost to replace those batteries :eek::shocked:

/ Unfathomable #4  
I won't be holding my breath on that system. Wonder what it takes to recharge.

/ Unfathomable #5  
I wonder how it holds up to a 16 hour day of hard work? The diesels can take it.

/ Unfathomable #6  
I have to deal with UPS (uninterrupted power supply) systems at work, there basically banks of batteries with controls. I could see this system being very feasible but with Major drawbacks.

One being batteries last around 10 years in a conditioned space, non conditioned like this I would guess life span would be around 5 years. And batteries would have to be sealed rough service batteries which are even more.

An electric motor is 100% instant power and torq with very little noise and unlimited gear range much like HST. I would guess also that there would be solar panels or some way to produce electricity on the fly, I cant see this lasting 16-24 hours of hard labor without needing recharged but I'm sure they thought of all this.

If I were a betting man, I would say there's a little generator hiding in that rig somewhere to charge the batteries after they get so low.

All in all I wouldn't want one but I like the technology.

/ Unfathomable #7  
I have to deal with UPS (uninterrupted power supply) systems at work, there basically banks of batteries with controls. I could see this system being very feasible but with Major drawbacks.

One being batteries last around 10 years in a conditioned space, non conditioned like this I would guess life span would be around 5 years. And batteries would have to be sealed rough service batteries which are even more.

An electric motor is 100% instant power and torq with very little noise and unlimited gear range much like HST. I would guess also that there would be solar panels or some way to produce electricity on the fly, I cant see this lasting 16-24 hours of hard labor without needing recharged but I'm sure they thought of all this.

If I were a betting man, I would say there's a little generator hiding in that rig somewhere to charge the batteries after they get so low.

All in all I wouldn't want one but I like the technology.

Nope, no solar panels for "on the fly charging". The output of the solar panels on the roof or hood wouldn't even run the air conditioning and not much more than maybe run the stereo provided you didn't turn it up too loud. That tractor had 700 volts on the battery system and I think I saw around a 50 kilowatt load. Some little "pony" engine isn't going to do much good either. Other than maybe a limp mode to get it back to the barn for charging. Nope you are gonna need some serious charging potential (like was shown with the plug he was plugging in), What was that? 440 volt 3 phase?

/ Unfathomable #8  
Nope, no solar panels for "on the fly charging". The output of the solar panels on the roof or hood wouldn't even run the air conditioning and not much more than maybe run the stereo provided you didn't turn it up too loud. That tractor had 700 volts on the battery system and I think I saw around a 50 kilowatt load. Some little "pony" engine isn't going to do much good either. Other than maybe a limp mode to get it back to the barn for charging. Nope you are gonna need some serious charging potential (like was shown with the plug he was plugging in), What was that? 440 volt 3 phase?

At 1:05 I don't understand why it has a start selection on the key like starting a car, wouldn't it just be Off, auxiliary and On?

Here at work we have over 500 volts from our batteries but we have almost 800 batteries, each battery is less than 2v DC wired in a series and there physical size is 12'x10'x24' and weigh about 125lbs each, the battery rack in that tractor looks similar, wired in a series but it looks like 50 batteries max would fit in the one bank they show, I would have a hard time believing that would last long enough in a agricultural environment but who knows. Maybe the load of the motor isn't as great as I would think it is.

As far as the charging, idk, only seen it on a phone but would guess they would use the least resistance possible and that would be high voltage so the cost to charge it is lower. When the batteries drain I would guess 8-12h charge time min. So I guess when it dies you hop in the diesel tractor and get back to work or go inside and twiddle your thumbs lol.

/ Unfathomable #9  
I looked at the video again, and I saw the load peak up to 100 Kilowatts. It said something about 130 KW, which I took as maximum. The gauge ran up to 150 KW if that means anything. The charging voltage was 750 volts DC, but I did not see a gauge for the charging current. Also I think I read it took 24 hours to charge the batteries, but I could not figure out how long it could run on a full charge. 100 Kilowatts is a bunch of power. 130 Kilowatt hours translates to 174.3 Horsepower hours. Which might be a tad underpowered for that size of tractor. But as you note, the torque would be great with a DC motor. I wish the information had not been in French, as I don't speak it and can only guess at some of the specs.

/ Unfathomable #10  
I looked at the video again, and I saw the load peak up to 100 Kilowatts. It said something about 130 KW, which I took as maximum. The gauge ran up to 150 KW if that means anything. The charging voltage was 750 volts DC, but I did not see a gauge for the charging current. Also I think I read it took 24 hours to charge the batteries, but I could not figure out how long it could run on a full charge. 100 Kilowatts is a bunch of power. 130 Kilowatt hours translates to 174.3 Horsepower hours. Which might be a tad underpowered for that size of tractor. But as you note, the torque would be great with a DC motor. I wish the information had not been in French, as I don't speak it and can only guess at some of the specs.

Perks to the internet I found more data on it, negative to being at work, I can't read it just yet lol.

John Deere's electric tractor: A vision of zero emissions farming

4 hours of work lol that's what I figured (it would be a low non feasible number) I will read further into later.

Perks would be is you wouldn't need a ballast lol.