I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.
Pictures never seem to do slopes justice do they? Glad you and the tractor are ok.

Also: you seat belt was on RIGHT?!

Yes. Seat belt was on. Bailing out isn't an option with a cab so I strap in.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #22  
Man I am glad you are here to tell that tale! Good fast thinking. There were probably 1000 ways to skin that cat, but what matters is you skinned it and are here to tell us about it.

I would agree put up a "guard rail". Posts with cross beams, a berm, both.... something so that in the future it is not as big of an issue.

Walking the tractor out with the bucket is not a hard task. I learned to do it when I buried the front in the mud this year. I have maybe 27 hrs on the tractor (it is my first). But you are right even if you pulled yourself out, now what. You still have no chains and a slick road.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #23  
In in spite of the fact our drive isn't steep my tractor with industrial tires skidded around a good bit on ice and packed snow. Now it has turf tires which hook up much, much better.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.
That berm is a good idea. Next time you could be in your car. I got my tractor in August. I had run it for 2 days straight loading brush in a pile with my front forks. I had got real confident and enjoying myself. Middle of the third day I was going to dump a load of branches off the fork. I was running out of places to dump and decided to dump while on a slight cross slope. I knew that was against the rules but it wasn't too much slope. In a blink of an eye I nearly laid the tractor over on its side. I now have pucker power. Now it's December my butt cheeks finally don't tighten up quite as much when hitting a small bump. Lessons learned and happy we learned with a close call and not getting hurt.

Never have thought of a barrier. Our vehicles have no issues getting up and down the drive generally.

In in spite of the fact our drive isn't steep my tractor with industrial tires skidded around a good bit on ice and packed snow. Now it has turf tires which hook up much, much better.

Chains are a must with how steep our drive is.

Here is a view from the bottom of the first hill looking up past the bridge.

kLMNtQH.jpg

View from the bridge looking up towards the turn where I almost went over the edge

zPruegC.jpg

Thats why I went with the studded euro style chains. Hate to end up in the brook

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #26  
Soldier,

Have you every figured out how much the average grade is?

Soldier,

Have you every figured out how much the average grade is?

I haven't. I really need to determine the grade of the slope

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #28  
Jim Lake sings: "What a lucky man he was....." Glad you are ok Soldier, and the only damage was a perfectly good pair of underwear got ruined! You can buy new briefs, lol. You're a wiser man for it, though.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #29  
Glad everything worked out for you... I'm sure that it was a very valuable learning experience that cost very little, all things considered.

Having been playing with anything with a motor and tires for 30+ years, and 'playing' in the snow every chance I had, make situations like that easier to deal with. My mom is terrified by bad weather... because she has no confidence in her ability to 'drive out of' a slide or other situation that suddenly comes into play. By intentionally sliding around in fields, playing in the snow and ice, in safe conditions, I have built up a 'muscle memory', that makes vehicle handling in bad weather somewhat automatic. You don't have to 1) panic 2) think about what to do 3) do it, you just Do It naturally.

That's not to say I never have situations that make me pucker... but I do have enough situational awareness to deal with things.

Go play in the snow... it's good education and fun...

Glad everything worked out for you... I'm sure that it was a very valuable learning experience that cost very little, all things considered.

Having been playing with anything with a motor and tires for 30+ years, and 'playing' in the snow every chance I had, make situations like that easier to deal with. My mom is terrified by bad weather... because she has no confidence in her ability to 'drive out of' a slide or other situation that suddenly comes into play. By intentionally sliding around in fields, playing in the snow and ice, in safe conditions, I have built up a 'muscle memory', that makes vehicle handling in bad weather somewhat automatic. You don't have to 1) panic 2) think about what to do 3) do it, you just Do It naturally.

That's not to say I never have situations that make me pucker... but I do have enough situational awareness to deal with things.

Go play in the snow... it's good education and fun...

I'm comfortable in the snow and other slick situations. Was definitely interesting going from normal to "zero traction and rapidly gaining speed" in an instant. lol