I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #1  

Soldier415

Platinum Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota L3010GST. 2005 Kubota L3430HSTC
Disclaimer: I'm a first time tractor owner, had it since September, and first winter with one.

We got our first snow that stuck a few days ago, about 5 inches. Driveway is 1/4 mile with steep sections that include a 90 degree turn right as you head down from the house. Couldn't use the blower as I hadn't put the chains on yet. Tried getting the chains on the tractor here at the house and it wasn't happening. Need to get rear wheels off ground to set and tension. Was going to take it to dad's shop and put it on the lift.

Had checked the driveway earlier in the day and it wasn't slick, and truck went up and down in 4WD with no slippage so figured I'd have enough traction to get the tractor down the hill, over the bridge and up to the trailer.

trumpwrooong.jpg

It had warmed up that day which melted the slow slightly and compacted it, then it got cold again and froze.

Was in 1st gear so i could just creep down. As soon as I started the downhill she went full slide...FAST. Wheels not even turning just sliding and gathering momentum rapidly. Headed straight for the pictured drop off at the end of the turnout with a 10-15 foot sloped drop with logs at the bottom.

Touchhole puckered so tight you wouldn't have been able to fit a needle up it with a sledgehammer.

Slammed it into second gear and floored it to get all 4 wheels spinning and started working the wheel to get the front end pointed to the right and get some semblance of forward motion as I figured hitting trees was preferable to going over the bank and rolling over.

Sliding sideways and forward now pointed right at a stand of trees. As i'm working the wheel I raise the FEL bucket up and thumb it down so the edge tamers are pointed down. As soon as the front wheels leave the road for the ditch I start lowering it fast so right as front wheels hit flat ground I dropped it all the way digging the bucket into the ground and stopping my forward momentum.

Engage brake and shut it down.

Shaking like a snitch at a gangster party from adrenaline. Take some pictures.

Walk back up to house and pour a whiskey. I also change my shorts...

From losing traction to dropping bucket to prevent impact with trees was probably 8 seconds.

The pictures really don't show how steep the grade is.

faaHyXL.jpg

Spv09Gb.jpg

BFKU8Qq.jpg

Slide started where I am standing
dxa2tlx.jpg

Looking down at the drop off on the back side of the turnout

oeg4Hye.jpg

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #2  
Glad u made it out ok. Had a couple close calls myself

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #3  
Wow, had to be scary! You tell the story well. A good reminder that even tractor tires can slide in the wrong conditions. I have no advice to give except discard the shorts.

The closest I came to an abrupt change in a nice tractoring day was when I was cutting a road to the back of the property on a rather steep slope and was backing down hill and dragging the heal of the bucket against the edge of the road I was building to try to get the pitch side to side as even as possible. Then, Wham! All of a sudden I was going in reverse very fast down the hill. Apparently the edge gave way where I was trying to scrape into it and the set acceleration was such that without that resistance all the power went into speed in reverse. Scary - never happened before - stopped after about 20 feet but during that time I was not really certain what had happened. It was like I was sort of shot down the hill - usually in reverse it is a slower speed.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #4  
Yup,chains on for sure.Glad you didn't hurt your-self or the tractor.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #5  
If you had been pulling a rear scraper blade,,, you may have never noticed the driveway as slick.
When I had a 2WD,,, the tractor was impossible to go down a hill with the front bucket on.

Get a rear blade,,, at least 6 feet wide,,, it is like dragging an anchor.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.
Yup,chains on for sure.Glad you didn't hurt your-self or the tractor.

My father in law came over and we jacked up each side and got the chains on right where it sat. Was able to drive it out. Problem is I found out I need wheel spacers as the chains are rubbing on the 3PH arms.

Got the euro style studded chains from tirechains.com

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #7  
I had one similar experience like yours over ten years ago. But on wet grass, not snow and ice....

R4 tires. Put chains on the rear tires afterwards and they have not been off since. I never have the need to run on paved surfaces though...

Bill

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #8  
Wow you are lucky!

Blower would have given some added weight chains or not.

Could you have "dropped anchor" with the loader once you started to slide?

Looks like you could have drove out using the bucket to push yourself backwards.

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day. #9  
Good save I'm glad you (and your tractor) are alright!

/ I (narrowly) averted a multiple roll rollover crash in the tractor the other day.
Wow you are lucky!

Blower would have given some added weight chains or not.

Could you have "dropped anchor" with the loader once you started to slide?

Looks like you could have drove out using the bucket to push yourself backwards.

I dropped the blower as it would have been in the way getting it on the lift, and would have been another thing to chain down on the trailer.

I perhaps could have dropped anchor immediately but it happened so fast my first focus was to not be headed straight for a drop off.

I haven't been running a tractor long enough to know how to use the bucket to walk myself out. And without the chains I would just slide again even if I got out of the ditch.