Oil & Fuel Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder.

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
My grandpa is a old time farmer and we were talking about tractors one day, he claims if you put a shot of diesel in the tank of a gas tractor it will pull much much harder, but he mentioned you only want to do it if your pulling hard, otherwise it's hard on the tractor.

Any truth to this?

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #2  
Nope.

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #3  
Growing up Dad had a John Deere G.P. General Purpose type tractor with steel lugs and draw bar only.
When plowing there was a control to spray the valves with water from radiator. to keep them from over heating on tractor fuel . not sold anymore but must of been a mixture of cheap gas and kerosene @ a nickel a gallon. This would produce enough power to set the plow as deep as wanted until the lugs on wheel spun.
I have used a little diesel on stand by generators that sat for long periods without a load mainly to keep the intake from rusting. and carbon on top of piston from becoming hard .
In the service the gas was so loaded with additive it would form carbon and fill the muffler. would take a small hose and feed into the carb. small amount off diesel soon the carbon was flying from muffler. in white cloud of dust. engine would then run with load with out heating .

Never have read any information if good or bad for engine but sure causes a strong burned fuel smell.
ken

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #5  
Yep. Diesel has a very low octane and high cetane, Gasoline is the exact opposite, high octane low cetane. Diesel fuel will make a gasoline engine knock and smoke like crazy.

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #6  
I know that when I used to clip playing cards with clothespins to hit the spokes of my wheels on my bike back when I was a kid at least doubled my power!:laughing: (I think it's the same thing as adding a shot of diesel)

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder.
I know that when I used to clip playing cards with clothespins to hit the spokes of my wheels on my bike back when I was a kid at least doubled my power!:laughing: (I think it's the same thing as adding a shot of diesel)

Do you have any proof it doubled your power? Did you ever put your bike on a Dino? Have you ever put diesel in a gas tank and pull a tractor had with a plough or something?

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #8  

:) :) :)

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #9  
John I hope you didn't take my reply as a dig on you or your Grandpa! It most certainly was not intended to be. As others have explained it just is not true. Diesel fuel will not "enhance" gasoline for power or otherwise.
On the other hand, it was widely known and common knowledge among 8 year old boys that playing cards did (not) in fact double your bike pedal power:cool2:

/ Diesel in gas tank to make tractor pull harder. #10  
I thought the power of the added playing card was only for baseball cards and only if they were going to be valuable some day.... Babe Ruth rookie cards and the like?