Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
This thread is going out in 2 parts. The tractor is a 2007 and at 550 hrs 5-14-10 the in put shaft seal to the hst trans was replaced under warranty. Got it back and at 756 hrs it started leaking again so said I well fix this time and maybe find out why. Well when I got it apart the seal was leaking and also on the bottom side of the housing (pictures of housing in next post). I got a new housing, seal, and gasket. The new seal just didn't seem to fit tight from all the seals that I have put in and that has been alot. The new seal was a different color and I thought well this has to be right. Here I go again at 1325 hrs.

I don't know if the are doing to show up from 1 to 7 or not.
#1&2 getting ready to take the steering and wire harness off.
#3 Steering and wiring off.
#4 It's apart
#5 The two hard lines I had some trouble with them. The one on the right is high pressure to the power steering and the big one on the left is the hyd cooler return. The manual said to remove HP to steering off but that was a joke. When I put it back together I must of bent that just a little because I had trouble getting it over the the spot were the loader mounts.
#6 Draining fuel tank getting ready to pull the tank to adjust the valves.
#7 Now if that bracket you see over the tank, if that was made to bolt on both sides and remove it I think the tank would come out. I did find out later you can pull the part the hood fits on can be pulled as a assy tank and all. That would also helped with the 2 hyd lines.

Post # 2 coming in a few mins. Boys keep in mind I'll 76 years old and I need a coffee break.

Well I see they loaded just as I loaded. I'll load right in the next post.

Attachments

• L4240 spilt 07.JPG
    L4240 spilt 07.JPG
    532.3 KB · Views: 707
  • L4240 spilt 06.JPG
    L4240 spilt 06.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 1,519
  • L4240 spilt 05.JPG
    L4240 spilt 05.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 998
  • L4240 spilt 04.JPG
    L4240 spilt 04.JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 1,964
  • L4240 spilt 03.JPG
    L4240 spilt 03.JPG
    547.1 KB · Views: 1,236
  • L4240 spilt 02.JPG
    L4240 spilt 02.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 819
  • L4240 spilt 01.JPG
    L4240 spilt 01.JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 1,063
   / Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #2  
Very impressive! I do a fair amount of work on my tractor but I've never attempted (nor needed) to split my tractor. At any age this is a big deal. I'm a little unclear though; are you saying the past repair the seal didn't fit right or are you saying for this repair right now it doesn't fit right?

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD
A little story on the housing and seal. When I seen the oil leaking I went to a dealer to try and find out if any changes had been made with the seal, I wasn't going to put in there seal if no changes were made. They told me yes the seal had been SS and that I had to order a new housing with the seal or if I ordered the housing I needed to order the seal. I said great and went to work getting it apart as soon as I time. Well I go back about 30 or 35 days later and the 2007 # were all good # and they could not find any info about them being SS by any #. Now What?? Then I guess I had start looking for a better fitting seal, but I tried another dealer and the #s were SS. Now do I order then and hope I don't get old stock take a chance. I took the chance and they were new stock.

Pictures are in order.

#1& 2 That was where I wanted to be. Look at #2 at the 4WD shaft, the longer silver part is just a spacer, but right behind it you can see another part. That part is a sleeve and the 4wd seal runs on that.Be very careful with it. There is rubber on the inside of it. Removing it without messing up the surface is hard to do, I would say to order a new one along with the 4wd shaft seal and I would replace, because you can't be sure it wasn't leaking.

#3 You can see the spacer and sleeve is out now the 4wd seal can come out easy after you remove a snap ring.

#4 To remove the housing you screw 2 bolts in to push the housing out. Note a wrech on one side and a rachet on the out.See next picture.

#5 That is housing #2 that was put on by the dealer @ the 550 hr time. It did not have threads in the hole so I had to use a tap as a bolt to push the housing off. Now the pisser is the SS housing was not threaded eather, so I tapped the new to make it easer for the next guy.

#6 Here is all 3 housings 1st one on left is the 1st to be replaced by me after but new seal in and warpped it. The middle one is the one I just pulled and the new one going on. I could not find any differents in the housing and couldn't find any reason why it would be SS. I must say I could not get to ID mic to check the bore where the new seal goes. I did kind of fitted it to the old housing and I think it would of fit.

#7 & 8 You can see in #7 the hole I was taking about, like how small it is. The last picture is just the old and new seals and that new seal fit like a seal should fit. TIGHT.... I think that fixed it this time. Everything all back together and running good. BTY one more thing for the ones asking about valve adjustment. I found 4 valves that were over the .008 max. I would guess they were aroud .010 to .012.

Attachments

• L4240 spilt 043.JPG
    L4240 spilt 043.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 711
  • L4240 spilt 047.JPG
    L4240 spilt 047.JPG
    584.1 KB · Views: 727
  • L4240 spilt 053.JPG
    L4240 spilt 053.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 483
  • L4240 spilt 061.JPG
    L4240 spilt 061.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 445
  • L4240 spilt 062.JPG
    L4240 spilt 062.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 450
  • L4240 spilt 064.JPG
    L4240 spilt 064.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 438
  • L4240 spilt 067.JPG
    L4240 spilt 067.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 387
  • L4240 spilt 068.JPG
    L4240 spilt 068.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 549
I'm saying the one before this one. I didn't like the way it fit and was all most sure then that would have to do it again. It went 700hrs and I though I might be ok, but not.

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #5  
Nice work.

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #6  
Im in the middle of the same job on a L5740 that just turned 1000 hours.
Replacing propeller front/four wheel drive seal and input seal.
Had to get the new housing and seal for the input shaft.
Also, clutch was soaked, so a new one of them is going it too.
Too bad Kubota didn't do it right when they were made.
Thanks for posting the pictures... they were a great help.

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #7  
Curious what size tap?

/ Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD #8  
Great work with the pics and the actual job. Splitting any tractor is daunting for most.

Your workshop is fabulous for this (Congrats) and you look to be working safely with the support dolly and blocks.

That the tractor is 'clean' is important and I hope people notice this - How it is easier to see bolts, connectors and small items which makes for easier reassembly.

I understand your Input Shaft Seal was leaking. Possibly the first replacement was a combo of new housing/old seal or vice-versa?

Now it seems you have confirmed a 'new' (SS) housing and a 'new' (SS) seal?

I may have missed it - but is the 4WD output shaft seal leaking as well? If you replace the seal there, the 'seal & collar' need to be replaced as a pair. Those wear collars with the rubber lining are a great seal surface but devils to install on long shafts!

Keep up the good work here. Inspiring for all who read this thread.

Regular coffee breaks are useful to step-back and double-check your progress.

I hope the reassembly goes with no dramas. :thumbsup:

Quote: I may have missed it - but is the 4WD output shaft seal leaking as well? If you replace the seal there, the 'seal & collar' need to be replaced as a pair. Those wear collars with the rubber lining are a great seal surface but devils to install on long shafts!

I only replaced the seal and that might of been a mistake on my part. If I run the tractor for 6 or 7 hours when I pull it in the shop the next day when I go to the shop there is a real small oil spot under the vent hole. Say I run for 3 hrs there is no leak. The in put seal was a real good fit and I can't believe for the life of me that is leaking. If it is the only thing I can think of is the heat is making that seal harden up, boy I hope not.
I was going to do a pressure test on the hole rear end, but just to many lines and holes to plug at the time. If it ever has to come apart again I well take the time to do that.
BTY: you seen how I just start the bolts and nuts so I don't have to spend time looking in a pile of S___. As they say time is money. And thanks for kind words.
PS. The 4WD seal didn't seem to be leaking, just went ahead replaced because it was apart.