Coolant leak - JD 5065E

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #1  

Lowcountry17

Tractor
JD 5065E
I've had this tractor for a little over 2 years and it has leaked coolant since the beginning. Not much---I've added about 3/4 gallon over 2 yrs and about 110 hours of relatively light use. I've tightened the clamps I can get to easily (didn't seem loose at all). No sign of coolant in the oil that I can tell. When it gets up to temp and I lift the hood, I get the faint smell of coolant on the side of the tractor where the radiator fan blows air. Any ideas on how to pinpoint the leak?

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #3  
I bought one of these,,,

63265_zzz_500.jpg

It worked great,,, if the pressure goes down,, there is a leak.
with the machine not running,, leaks are easier to find.
Advance Auto usually "rents" this for free!! :thumbsup:

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #4  
I would put in the dye first. Hopefully that will pinpoint your issue. My Workmaster developed the same issue. Very minimal leak upon start up but once hot would stop. Had to tighten the bottom radiator hose. It appeared tight and it took a pretty good amount of pressure to turn the hose clamp bolt one half turn. The clamp bolt head was actually rubbing against the frame of the tractor. The vibration caused the bolt and clamp to loosen just the least little bit. Hopefully your situation is similar.

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E
I would put in the dye first. Hopefully that will pinpoint your issue. My Workmaster developed the same issue. Very minimal leak upon start up but once hot would stop. Had to tighten the bottom radiator hose. It appeared tight and it took a pretty good amount of pressure to turn the hose clamp bolt one half turn. The clamp bolt head was actually rubbing against the frame of the tractor. The vibration caused the bolt and clamp to loosen just the least little bit. Hopefully your situation is similar.

I hope so too. I think if it were a serious issue of coolant getting into the engine, I'd have noticed it by now. At least I hope so. My guess is that there's small leak in a hose somewhere and that it's getting steamed off when the engine is at temp---that's the only time I smell it. I have not noticed any fluid leaking when cold on the engine or on the dirt underneath the tractor. I also remember reading that this series has had problems with hoses leaking.

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #6  
Have a look at the thermostat housing as well while you're at it.

Ronnie

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E
Have a look at the thermostat housing as well while you're at it.

Ronnie

Thanks. I'm kicking myself for not getting it to the dealer while under warranty, but they kind of pissed me off. I called them about a year ago to ask about getting it looked at and they wanted $300 to haul it 10 miles to the shop (I don't have a trailer). Really irked me, as I was (and am) very busy with other things then and now and couldn't drop everything to find a way to haul it myself. I live about 2 hrs away from the farm where the tractor is kept. Hence the reason the tractor only has a little over 100 hrs on it. The tech on the phone did say it was likely a hose that needed tightening---he basically downplayed the situation. I still think it is likely relatively minor---if coolant was getting in the engine (head gasket problem), wouldn't I notice the smell in the exhaust, milky looking oil, etc. instead of just detecting a faint smell coming off the radiator fan at temp?

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #8  
My dealer is 16 miles away and hauls for $30 each way. I thought about getting them to look repair mine but I was trying to get to the field to brush hog. The previous month my rear brake bolt and coupler was lost while brush hogging. I've got a bumper to bumper warranty but went ahead and got the parts and fixed them myself. I personally look at warranty claims for the major stuff that I hopefully won't have. BTW I really like the E series Deere. I don't have a dealer close by and my New Holland dealer is very convenient and they do a good job. Good luck and keep us updated.

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #9  
Thanks. I'm kicking myself for not getting it to the dealer while under warranty, but they kind of pissed me off. I called them about a year ago to ask about getting it looked at and they wanted $300 to haul it 10 miles to the shop (I don't have a trailer). Really irked me, as I was (and am) very busy with other things then and now and couldn't drop everything to find a way to haul it myself. I live about 2 hrs away from the farm where the tractor is kept. Hence the reason the tractor only has a little over 100 hrs on it. The tech on the phone did say it was likely a hose that needed tightening---he basically downplayed the situation. I still think it is likely relatively minor---if coolant was getting in the engine (head gasket problem), wouldn't I notice the smell in the exhaust, milky looking oil, etc. instead of just detecting a faint smell coming off the radiator fan at temp?

Speaking generally-
If it's a slight leak between the coolant and cylinder (likely a head gasket), as described, you may not notice the exhaust. The second test method would show that. If the second test didn't show that but you were still loosing coolant then next step would be to overpressure the coolant system with the pressure tester described above. With the engine running something would change- white exhaust etc.

You would notice a leak between the coolant and oil with the milky oil.

I'm surprised the clamps can be tightened. Most modern OEMs use a constant pressure spring type clamp. The typical band style clamp doesn't apply the constant pressure and doesn't apply it equally- hence the change.

/ Coolant leak - JD 5065E #10  
I called them about a year ago to ask about getting it looked at and they wanted $300 to haul it 10 miles to the shop (I don't have a trailer).

Drive the tractor to the shop? 10 miles isn't that far.