One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?
Sounds like the Kioti is gone?

Kioti got sold when I moved from VA back home to the farm in NC, I knew I'd have access to that large tractor and the bobcat. Problem is, that large tractor is extremely heavy to put on the yard with the 3pt hitch plugger, and the bobcat tears up pasture pretty bad when we move bales to feed the horses.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #12  
I would choose two ....
I think a high hour but higher end commercial mower off of CL or tractorhouse for mowing. A high hour tractor with loader; I doubt you will find anything HST though.

But as others have mentioned your market may be different. I assume you have animals.

I think you can do an amazing amount of work with a BX2200 though. I don't think you will go wrong with either decision.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #13  
I second the idea of having a machine designed to mow and a machine designed to be used as a tractor. Since you already have access to a tractor another smaller one would seem to waste of funds. Buy a good zero turn and use the other tractor as a tractor. Nine acres cannot take that much work if you have an 80-hp available.

RSKY

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?
I second the idea of having a machine designed to mow and a machine designed to be used as a tractor. Since you already have access to a tractor another smaller one would seem to waste of funds. Buy a good zero turn and use the other tractor as a tractor. Nine acres cannot take that much work if you have an 80-hp available.

RSKY

You didnt read the post, the 80hp tractor is too heavy for what I need it to be used for.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #15  
The only thing I will say is...nothing beats a tractor except more tractors...

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #16  
I would assume the 80hp tractor has no FEL?

I went with two machines, I bought a used lawn mower/ garden tractor and a tractor large enough to move a round bale.

I think the prob you will have is high hours means lots of maintenance, if downtime is no big deal I would say buy two machines, if you don't feel like working on stuff all the time I would buy one of whatever you need more.

I paid $800 for my Husqvarna 54in mower with 230 hours. It's not the greatest thing in the world but does a good job cutting grass, I personally don't like zero turns but that's just me.

Lawn mowers are cheap, there's 10 for every 1 tractor out there. I would vote separate machines, to do rather cheap on the lawn mower and take your time to find a good tractor.

If the grass gets cut, hay gets moved (bobcat) life's good, I would be patient on the tractor purchase.

What are you moving? Round, large/small square or loose hay?

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #17  
Changing my answer :) ...with only one acre of grass, I would look for something like a BX2200 to do it all. Single engine to maintain and it can do so much more...

Also, what did you mean by "5 horse pasture" Do you have 5 horses in a pasture or a pasture that can support 5 horses or 5 acres in pasture?

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #18  
Get two machines. I don't mind the additional motors to maintain since I have the machines designed for the job at hand. There is no such thing as a universal machine that can do it all. They will either do a great job at one thing and half-a##ed job at the other or half-a##ed job at both.
If you can swing used for both machines and get them in fair to good condition, then go for it. Bargains can be had that is for sure, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
I would go with a used commercial duty or near commercial duty zero turn mower rather than a new cheap box store version that may last 2 seasons.
Tractors with 1000 hours are still good for thousands more if maintained.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #19  
I mow an acre with a non-zero turn lawn mower (ride on type) with a 42 inch deck. I can mow it in about an hour. ZRT would cut that down, but not by much. You can get a new craftsman for $1000.00. Then you have $5K to spend on the tractor.

To answer your question I would rather have two machines. If you MUST have the zero turn you are going to be tight on budget I would think.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #20  
I vote for separate machines. It's hard for one machine to be both heavy enough to be a good tractor and light enough to be a good mower.

I agree with Ron. I don't think you'll be happy in the long run with a compromise. Maybe consider buying the mower you need now, then saving a bit longer for a tractor ... since you already have access to machines to do that work now.