One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
9 acres, 5 horse pasture in North Carolina. I've got access to a larger 80hp tractor and bobcat on my property as well. Right now I've got about a $6000 budget for a tractor/mower for chores and the yard mowing. Tractor will be used for maintaining drives, mowing, aeration/fertilizing in the spring/fall, using a 3pt hitch spike to move some small round bales (4x4, my SCUT Kioti moved the smaller ones fine). Yard to be maintained is about 1 ac of fescue, and I'm pretty peculiar about the grass.

Was thinking of a Kubota BX2200 or similar with mid mower for tractor and mowing duties. Found several around $5000 with just mower, can find some around $6000 with mower and loader. Loader wont be strong but will be useful, although I do have access to a bobcat. Mower supposedly cuts well but will never replace a zero turn mower.

Then I had a thought of doing a separate tractor and mower to split up duties. Maybe a $3000 tractor like an older Deere 850, IH 444, Massey 135 etc for tractor duties, and then a used walk behind or zero turn for $3000 for the yard. Tractor would move hay bales and stuff better, but would be heavier for when I need to use it to aerate the pasture/yard. Zero turn and walk behind would obviously be the best at mowing grass.

Thoughts? The total package would be nice to have, and I used the **** out of my loader on my Kioti when I had it and it was light enough to drive across the grass without damage, unlike the Bobcat. Although, it never had enough strength for hay and it always seemed like either the deck or loader was on when I didnt need it to be.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #2  
My thought is with that budget, you will probably only get one machine.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?
   / One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #4  
Very tight budget!

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #5  
Get a good Zero turn and use your access to the 80 hp tractor and bobcat when needed.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #6  
I'd WAY rather have 2 machines, but given that budget you're pretty much stuck with whatever you can find.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower?
I'm surprised at the responses. I've found just looking today 4 tractors under $3000 (Deere 850, IH 444, 524, Ford 1510), and 3 zero turns under $3000 (one with under 400hrs).

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #8  
I vote for separate machines. It's hard for one machine to be both heavy enough to be a good tractor and light enough to be a good mower.

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #9  
I'm surprised at the responses...
Raleigh is a bit different from other markets, I've picked up lots of stuff cheap. Flux Core welder for $25 (didn't look it was used). 2 row Cultipacker for $150, rear blade for $50... list goes on...

I would get what's best for your lawn, since grass matters to you... and see what left for a tractor.

Sounds like the Kioti is gone?

/ One tractor with mower and loader, or separate tractor and mower? #10  
I vote for separate machines. It's hard for one machine to be both heavy enough to be a good tractor and light enough to be a good mower.[/QUOTE

I agree with this^^^^^^