"Calling" my tractor

/ "Calling" my tractor #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
There's been a lot of talk of cold weather starting, block heaters, fuel additives and the like. A thought occurred to me. Is there a way to put a "switch" between the block heater and the extension cord that I can "call" with my smart phone to turn it on? I have used the old fashioned timers, like for turning lights on and off and they worked well but had limitations. I'm thinking if get up one cold morning and decide to put out a few bales of hay I can "call" the "switch" and have the tractor heating while I'm cooking breakfast, getting the grandkids on the bus, and the wife to work. Can it be done? Expensive? $100? Safe and reliable?

/ "Calling" my tractor #2  
How much distance?...there are remote control switches for both AC and DC devices/appliances etc...some will reach 300'...they can be had for as little as about $25+ I think...

/ "Calling" my tractor #3  
Yes they make switches that would plug in at the wall. The easy ones are a radio signal (like your garage door opener) and are used this time of year for Christmas lights. The next level would be wifi and in the "home automation" world. I have a wall thermostat and camera that I can log into remotely.
On the "back side" of this some extra steps need to occur that I won't go into (unless you insist). Just know that it is worth purchasing a reputable brand with some staying power- especially if you want to turn it on or off outside your home network.

/ "Calling" my tractor #4  
To answer you actual question. Yes. I used to have what was called a beeper box. The way it worked is you put a Walmart cheap pay as you go cell phone in it. You then plug preheat into it (I had cylinder heat, oil sump and cabin ceramic heaters for aircraft). Then all you do is call your cell phone from anywhere in the world (if you desire) and turn your preheat on based on the number of rings. You can also turn it off the same way. Called the "beeper box" by Judith Mountain. I think they are out of business now. They were about $300

Anyway, I removed the electronics from the beeper box pelican case and put the wireless switch inside just to keep it out of the elements even though it was made for outside use. I mounted the box on the shop wall by the tractor so I just plug in the block heater and the shop mounted light. When I turn it on from the house I know it is on via the light. The remote works from quite a distance. I bought the switch on ebay for about $15. You probably don't need the pelican case, which costs more than the switch, but it's weatherproof and I already had it.
In the summer I can unplug the block heater and leave the light plugged in and then just have a remote light if needed. As you can see by the picture it lights up the area well. It's a 60W equivalent LED so pretty inexpensive to leave on..

2016-11-22 23.04.12.jpg

2016-11-22 23.23.40.jpg

Last edited:
   / "Calling" my tractor #5  
I bet some terrorists could do that pretty cheap.

/ "Calling" my tractor #7  
I use a remote to switch my heater and have done so for the last 6 years.
It simply plugs inline and has a remote like we have to start cars.
Mine actually has 2 remotes, one is outdoor model and other is indoor so I can power up the block heater and then power an interior heater to cozy up my cab.

From a lesson learned I teed in a small witness light just to confirm the heater is turned on.

The remote was purchased from local hardware store and was in the $25.00 range.
Usually they also carry an inline timer device in same price range.

These devices generally are rated for 10 or 15 amps.

/ "Calling" my tractor #8  
I prefer the remote control 'holiday'-type ones (just be sure to check your wattage). The one I use (which handles the block heater) has dusk/dawn sensor, 2,4,6,8,12 hour intervals and the remote. I can turn on my heater (and indicator light) and it will run for no more than 2 hours before shutting off. The remote can override at any time (on or off).

/ "Calling" my tractor #9  
I just saw a movie the other day where the Bad guy (happened to be a cop) dialled a number a blew the security guards ankle off, to make a point!

One of the newest remote controlled systems is Z Wave or Zigby. Many manufacturers like Leviton have come on board. There are a wide range of automation products. There are smart phone aps to control these devices. A good way to go, if you may want to expand the system. The Z wave devices use (through the air) RF and all act as repeaters, which is kind of neat.