Ballast

/ Ballast #1  

oldafretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901, MX5800, U55
If I use a 3 point hitch pallet fork to move a heavy object, does the front end have to have some form of ballast added? I know you have to add ballast to the back if you lift heavy objects with the FEL so is it the same for lifting with the 3 point? I have a Kubota MX with FEL and might have to lift a 2000 lb generator with a 3 point pallet fork. The rear R4 tires are loaded and tire chains add over 200 lbs on top of that.

/ Ballast #2  
If it was me I would try it without anything added to the from and see how it steers. If the front seems way to light just scoop up some gravel or dirt with the bucket before you load the generator. I would think the gen wouldn't have to be moved much anyway.

/ Ballast #3  
My backhoe is about a ton. Just the loader does fine.

/ Ballast
Yeah, come to think of it my L3901 doesn't need any extra weight on the front when I have the backhoe on there. I guess lifting weight on the back is different than lifting with the FEL.

Thanks guys!!

/ Ballast #5  
Yep, loader will be just fine. My 8' bushhog, which I am sure hangs back farther than your generator/pallet forks will.....is 1620#. And I do fine even without the loader on flat ground. With the loader on....no worries at all

/ Ballast
Thanks. I'll probably just have my 400 lb snow blade on the loader. Had lots of wet snow last night.

/ Ballast #7  
Ballast on the 3pt puts weight on the strong rear axle & unloads the weak front when doing loader stuff. Tractors were designed to have that rear axle do the work. A loader is on the wrong end of the tractor over the heavy engine & weak axle. As long as the front stays on the ground & you can still steer you don't need to worry about more front ballast.

/ Ballast #8  
A load on the front tends to lift the rear because of leverage- the FEL is away from the front tires.
The 3 point is close to the rear tires and lifting the load doesn't move it away from the tractor on a big arc like the rear. The engine being toward the front acting as a counter weight also helps.