Turf tires on smaller tractors

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Greetings,

Thinking about putting turf tires on my 2400. Currently has industrial 6 ply rears and even at 8psig the ride is really rough. Bought an air (built in compressor) seat for it and it helps a lot but need more.

Want to find a set of 4 ply Turf Tires (I think) and run them at around 8-10 which with their softer sidewall, should work....works on my lawn mowers.

The tractor is 4wd and is used for odd jobs around the place. I have industrial 4 plies on the front and plan on leaving them on there using the front traction in situations where I need a little help.....like digging the loader into a pile of sand or rocks; not sliding down a low angle hill.

The question is does anyone run turfs on tractors of that size and do they do the job and under what conditions are they giving you sub standard performance?

Thanks,
Mark

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #2  
I have all turfs on a 35 engine hp 4410 John Deere. I rarely run out of traction. It has to be a greasy mud before I have trouble moving around. In sticky mud I can fill the fel without too much trouble. I have a flat yard and seldom have ice. No problems pushing snow with the fel. Lots of times run out of power long before I run out of traction. With the snow blower there is the odd time that a set of chains would be nice. I did change the front tires to 26x12x12 from 27x8.5x15. I found the extra floatation to be good in the mud and sod.

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #3  
I run turf on my Kubota B2620, looks to be the same size as your tractor. I actually had r4 and switched over about a year ago for doing turf work, like them soo much I don't see switching back.

Fronts were up sized from 23-8.5 12 to 23-9.5 12, mainly because I already had a brand new tire in that size and the used set I bought needed new fronts.

No problems with loader and bh work. 1482299569487.jpg
1482299655401.jpg

Only pics I could find showing the turfs.

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors
Ok guys. Looking good. TMGT looks like your equipment is earning it's way.

Thanks,
Mark

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #5  
With a 4WD tractor you will have to match the rolling circumference of the front to the back in order not to damage the transmission. The rear tire to front tire ratio is usually 1:1.05 with the front pulling the rear along just a bit.
You might find a turf tire that matches the circumference of your existing R4 but that is highly unlikely. I would suggest that you consult your dealer to provide you with the correct tires and rims (yes you will have to buy new rims also).

Folks that expect the ride comfort of a car in their tractors are usually disappointed regardless of the tires that you put on it. It is going to ride a bit rough since it has no suspension what so ever. I think you have already done about all you can by putting on the suspension seat. Before investing thousands in new tires and rims, I would suggest that you go to a dealer and test out a turf tired tractor for ride and see if you will be getting smoother ride enough to justify the cost of new tires and rims.

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #6  
Ok guys. Looking good. TMGT looks like your equipment is earning it's way.

Thanks,
Mark
Thanks Mark, it definitely earns it's keep lately.

Your tractor appears to use the same size tires as mine which is lucky because the r4 and turf are available in the same size. For the rear you need a 33 in tall tire.

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #7  
With a 4WD tractor you will have to match the rolling circumference of the front to the back in order not to damage the transmission. The rear tire to front tire ratio is usually 1:1.05 with the front pulling the rear along just a bit.
You might find a turf tire that matches the circumference of your existing R4 but that is highly unlikely. I would suggest that you consult your dealer to provide you with the correct tires and rims (yes you will have to buy new rims also).

Folks that expect the ride comfort of a car in their tractors are usually disappointed regardless of the tires that you put on it. It is going to ride a bit rough since it has no suspension what so ever. I think you have already done about all you can by putting on the suspension seat. Before investing thousands in new tires and rims, I would suggest that you go to a dealer and test out a turf tired tractor for ride and see if you will be getting smoother ride enough to justify the cost of new tires and rims.

Good stuff right here.

OP, read this post carefully. :)

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors
In surfing, I find 2 folks making tires to fit my wheels: Tiron and Titan. Both make R3s and R4s to fit the same wheel and with 4wd considerations in mind, making the circumferences common between types so that mixing can be realized.

A lot to be said about how much tire pressure you use for what equipment and which application. This is my first experience with R4s and if I had a backhoe on this tractor, which is equipped to accept one and at least part of the reason for 6 ply industrials, I wouldn't be having this problem. But I don't and am looking for a lighter tire for a lighter load. Had I known what I know today, I would have bought it with turf tires.

Thanks for your replies,
Mark

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #9  
Both our tractors are about the same size and weight and use the same size tires, I bought mine with r4s and switched to turf about a year ago because of turf damage with the r4.

Both tires are fluid filled, I can say running them back to back that the turfs do ride quite a bit nicer and still have excellent traction.

Check the tires that fit your 16.5 wheels, I've found the 16.5 turfs I saw had a much heavier sidewall and might not help the ride as much.

Have you priced out mounted wheel/ tires? I'm not sure about Branson but Kubota offers wholegood pricing on wheel/tire assemblies and it's pretty close to the cost of just the tire many times.

I lucked out and found a used set of mounted turfs for a great price, they needed front tires but those are cheap and I already had one.
Would be worth looking into what other manufacturers wheels will bolt up and trying to find used.

/ Turf tires on smaller tractors #10  
I put mud grips on the rear of my 855 JD and they are working pretty good. I see mud grips are available in a 33x12x16.5.